Some Things I Noticed

DarthMan

I'm with those that favour staying with the tradtional look.

My team in Australia has worn the same design for 130 years.

That's a long time.

The Raiders look is good because they're the Raiders.

If they were an expansion team and looked like that, it would be boring.

But because they're paying homage to the history of the team, and all those who played before them, the Raiders look is excellent.

That said, I hope they don't win another game all year.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

ok- it's time for my rebuttal :D

I feel that the Raiders need to use an accent color to accent the numbers. Even just white would help. Other than that, the uniform is very good, except when you can seewhite pads coming through the mesh. Maybe thats where i was coming from. It is cool to wear, though.

I am not totally blind as to what makes a good uniform . I might prefer a more modern look than others, but thats just my feel.

Calling a uniform classic is not a defense. Sometimes "classic" unis need tweaking. Thats my feeling.

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

Simple is definitely better, case in point take Arizona St., and Michigan St football two teams who go the modern route, end up with horrible looking uniforms and one year later they are back to looking normal again. Oh and you can add Arkansas to that list as well. Look at all the college football teams, how many schools are still wearing uniforms that were in style in the late 80's, none, because all the schools that went with that uniform style then have since moved on the trendy uniform of today. I don't see the Denver Broncos inspired designs sticking around for thirty more years because they too will go out of style and we'll move on to something even more ridiculous, and all the teams will follow. That's why teams who stick to their history and basic uniform are so cool. Like the Raiders

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Tradition doesn't equate to good design, and modern doesn't equate to better. Bad design is bad design. Any design can be made better whether a minor tweak or a full-blown overhaul.

As for the Raiders, they could use an update. I think about how some people want a logo for the Browns, yet IMO the Raiders' logo is probably the weakest element I associate with the team. The uniform itself is how I identify them. If you need to change something, do something with their logo.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

shall I bring up the Nike Swoosh again?

Its two, maybe four points in illustrator. Its boring. Doesn't mean its not a good design. Would you ever update it? Hell no, because its a SUCCESSFUL CLASSIC IDENTITY! Just like teams such as the Bears, the Packers, the Raiders, Redskins, Cowboys, St. Louis Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, Bulls, Celtics, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Penn State, Essendon Bombers (Aussie Rules...how's that rmred? 130 years same uniform design!) the list goes on and on.

Oh, and all those teams have tremendous histories...seems to go hand in hand doesn't it?

Notre Dame and Penn State have extremely boring uniforms. Would you ever seriously support a change? Their look would be lame with a Clover on the helmet or Penn State having the Nitney Lion on there.

I see the point of something boring, but just like the problem I'm running into at work with my boss, sometimes simple is best. Don't gunk stuff up with too much. A simple strong design is easily recognizable and usually looks the best.

I'll admit, I like what some teams have done. The Patriots, Falcons, Rams and Falcons are a few. But their Identities (minus the falcons, but their history is filled change, so i'll let that one go) weren't all that strong to begin with.

Why does "classic" give a pass on "bland"?  That is a question that is starting to bother me, because none of the "classic" trumpeteers is explaining.

The Raiders uniform IS bland.  All they'd need to do is put a white ring around a black ring around the numbers.  That would liven it up.

And, if you've checked the photo edits thread, the black Raider pants are totally Vegas!

As for the Lions, it is a VAST improvement on the old uniforms, but I guess I didn't look specifically at the collars.  I'll pay attention next weekend at the bar, when my Falcons take on the Lions.  :)

Because Classic, simple uniforms are not Bland, they look good, and have reached perfection. Bland uniforms are bland, not classic. Bland uniforms suck, and are ugly. However, you, and most modernist see anything not made by Nike, and any logo not made in Illustrator and having 20 different colors and sweeping lines and.... ugh.

Having a uniform, that looks Clean and professional (Raiders, Giants, Jets, Bears, Packers, ect), is better than having a uniform that is made during a trend and has cheap modernistic designs that will be out of style in 5 years (Broncos, New Bengals, Bills, Seahawks, Atlanta, The Addition of Black to the Lions)

And if you want an example. Remeber those Patriot uniforms with the obnoxious logo on the shoulder? Not very professional looking, and quite awful to look at, and i'm sure embarrasing to wear. The uniforms they have now, with the same logo, have that clean, simple, professional look. The Patriot uniforms now are Classic.

That is the difference between Classic and Bland.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived