Color gurus... can you help me match a color?

ColeJ

Right,that's the "Golden Gate Orange",which is like a 'brick' sort of color.I actually posted what a "think" is the Warriors' gold,but I cant remember what their name for it is.Thanks for pointing that out Pantone :) Now I just have to remember what my color is called <_<

98Falcons.png

As far as fabrics go, I can help a bit. Most teams/leagues use different sets of colors to represent them in different ways:

• Solid Colors
  • Process Colors
  • Textile Colors
  • Thread Colors
  • Twill Colors

Solid colors are usually represented by Pantone colors (usually on coated stock - hence the "C" designation). Process colors are the preferred CMYK breakdown of each color, and they may or may not correspond with the CMYK values associated with the Pantone value. Textiles are mostly matched up with the Pantone solid color - Pantone has a separate Textile palette (in cotton and paper) to represent them. Thread colors are usually listed as Robison-Anton threads, Madeira threads, and/or Marathon threads. Each of these thread sets have close matches with Pantone solid colors. Same with the Liebe twill colors.

As you can see, this is why the uniforms themselves don't always exactly match the logo/print colors. In fact, metallic colors often get matched up with completely different shades when translating to fabrics. And, the NBA actually uses a different set of solid colors called "Production Colors" - which translate to a more homogenized color palette. For example, one team in the NBA lists their primary colors as Blue 293 C and Red 199 C (the same colors used in the NBA logo), but since Reebok only uses as simplified color palette for their uniforms, the Production colors become Blue 661 C and Red 186 C. And then they utilize the closest matches to the Production colors when it comes to the Textiles...so 661 C becomes 19-3952 TC ("Surf the Web"), and 19-1763 TC ("Formula One").

So, if you want to break down 144 C, it comes out like this:

Solid Color:

144 C

RGB Values:

Red-222, Green-135, Blue-3

Process Breakdown:

Cyan-00, Magenta-48, Yellow-100, Black-00

Hexachrome Breakdown (six-color printing):

Cyan-00, Magenta-00, Yellow-100, Black-07, Orange-79, Green-00

Formula Guide:

87.5% Yellow, 12.5% Rubine Red

Textile Color:

15-0953 TC ("Golden Yellow")

Thread Color (Robison-Anton):

RA-2602 ("24 Kt. Gold")

Hope this clears it up a bit...but I just probably made it more confusing...

thats really interesting how the textile color isso much different than the solid. just curious, but what does Tennessee Volunteer Orange look like next to Cole's Color? its probabaly no better than the warriors yellow, but it may be worth a try.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As far as fabrics go, I can help a bit. Most teams/leagues use different sets of colors to represent them in different ways:
  • Solid Colors
  • Process Colors
  • Textile Colors
  • Thread Colors
  • Twill Colors

Solid colors are usually represented by Pantone colors (usually on coated stock - hence the "C" designation). Process colors are the preferred CMYK breakdown of each color, and they may or may not correspond with the CMYK values associated with the Pantone value. Textiles are mostly matched up with the Pantone solid color - Pantone has a separate Textile palette (in cotton and paper) to represent them. Thread colors are usually listed as Robison-Anton threads, Madeira threads, and/or Marathon threads. Each of these thread sets have close matches with Pantone solid colors. Same with the Liebe twill colors.

As you can see, this is why the uniforms themselves don't always exactly match the logo/print colors. In fact, metallic colors often get matched up with completely different shades when translating to fabrics. And, the NBA actually uses a different set of solid colors called "Production Colors" - which translate to a more homogenized color palette. For example, one team in the NBA lists their primary colors as Blue 293 C and Red 199 C (the same colors used in the NBA logo), but since Reebok only uses as simplified color palette for their uniforms, the Production colors become Blue 661 C and Red 186 C. And then they utilize the closest matches to the Production colors when it comes to the Textiles...so 661 C becomes 19-3952 TC ("Surf the Web"), and 19-1763 TC ("Formula One").

So, if you want to break down 144 C, it comes out like this:

Solid Color:

144 C

RGB Values:

Red-222, Green-135, Blue-3

Process Breakdown:

Cyan-00, Magenta-48, Yellow-100, Black-00

Hexachrome Breakdown (six-color printing):

Cyan-00, Magenta-00, Yellow-100, Black-07, Orange-79, Green-00

Formula Guide:

87.5% Yellow, 12.5% Rubine Red

Textile Color:

15-0953 TC ("Golden Yellow")

Thread Color (Robison-Anton):

RA-2602 ("24 Kt. Gold")

Hope this clears it up a bit...but I just probably made it more confusing...

i understand a little of what you're saying :) it's definately a bit over my head, but i can see where you're going with it...

the important thing is that the company making my sweaters understands all of this, as i'll be sending him a lot of this information, in hopes of him matching my colors.

again, thank you so much for your help. it's more imformation than i expected.

• 1 month later...

Archived