anyone see David Ortiz's home run?

stimpy

They were showing it all over sportcenter this morning, he hit that an estimated 512 feet. That is a long homerun it hit the wall in the back end of the dome. :notworthy: That leads me to wonder, anyone know what the longest recorded home run ever was?

Ha, damn non-MLB Japanese pitchers ...!!! :lol:

Only they could serve you a good pitch for a HR "a la Mantle in Griffith Stadium"... by God!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Supposedly Mickey Mantle hit a homerun that went 565 feet. There's no video of it, but people made guesses based on photos taken where the ball landed. I can't remember where it was....it was either Griffith Stadium in Washington or Yankee Stadium. I seem to remember a lot of "downtown"-type buildings around the park, which leads me to think it was Yankee Stadium. The homerun landed in a park across the street from the stadium, after being hit over a scoreboard and bleachers.

I don't know what the current distance record is. It's an unofficial record, but I remember Jose Canseco hitting one to the uppermost deck at Skydome, which I think is 500+. Bonds hit the video screen in San Diego (Qualcomm, not Petco). And there have been many moonshots hit in the All-Star Home Run Derby. I think Sosa hit mid way up the video screen in center at Miller Park, and he hit at least two out through the supports of the stadium.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Supposedly Mickey Mantle hit a homerun that went 565 feet. There's no video of it, but people made guesses based on photos taken where the ball landed. I can't remember where it was....it was either Griffith Stadium in Washington or Yankee Stadium. I seem to remember a lot of "downtown"-type buildings around the park, which leads me to think it was Yankee Stadium. The homerun landed in a park across the street from the stadium, after being hit over a scoreboard and bleachers.

I don't know what the current distance record is. It's an unofficial record, but I remember Jose Canseco hitting one to the uppermost deck at Skydome, which I think is 500+. Bonds hit the video screen in San Diego (Qualcomm, not Petco). And there have been many moonshots hit in the All-Star Home Run Derby. I think Sosa hit mid way up the video screen in center at Miller Park, and he hit at least two out through the supports of the stadium.

They also say Mantle's homer was still going up until it hit something... but that's all heresay.

Many players have hit a homer into the upper deck of SkyDome... Canseco's is just talked about the most because it was the first one up there, and it was in a playoff series to boot. Manny Ramirez hit one 10 rows into the fifth deck of SkyDome for the longest blast there, but I have to think Barry Bonds' BP blasts were the longest ever hit at the dome, he was putting them off the jumbotron

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

"Say hello to my little friend."

He hit the ball real hard.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

A couple of the Mantle stories are getting mixed up here.

The longest "recorded" home run was hit by Mickey Mantle off Washington's Chuck Stobbs in Griffith Stadium in 1953. The measurement was done by a member of the Yankee's PR staff who did not use a tape measure, but stepped off the distance from the outside wall of the stadium to the point where the ball landed. They added this distance to the measured distance from home plate to the stadium wall, adding in the thickness of the wall and the width of the bleachers. Not exactly scientific but the figure (565 feet) has gone down in history.

The home run that "was still going up" was when he hit the facade above the upper deck in right field of Yankee Stadium in 1956. Had the ball been hit about a foot and a half higher, it would have gone completely out of the stadium. It was hit off Pedro Ramos, also of the Senators.

Archived