BCS ideas

vicfurth

Just so you know, this isn't an official proposal, this is just an idea in my head. Here's what college football should do...

1) Scrap the BCS

2) Insert an actual playoff/tourney system

3) Have the top 16 teams (AP poll) play in a seeding system like March Madness

4) Name the games after bowls, going as far as actually playing there. Start off with the first round having names such as "Liberty" & "Sun" bowl, second round with "Cotton" and "Citrus" bowl, 3rd round would be "Orange" and "Sugar", championship game would always be the Rose Bowl. You could rotate out names to keep everyone happy.

This is how I'd run things. Of course, we all know how the NCAA listens to reason... ;)

DISCUSS!!!

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I would also have a 16 team tourney--the BCS scoring would be used a bit.

1. There are, I believe, 11 D 1-A conferences. Each Conference's champion goes to the tourney. In conferences without a conf champ. game, the confernece pre-determines who gets the auto-bid in case of tie (best overall record, head-to-head, highest ranked, etc.). I believe that each conference should send a team. It makes that conference race exciting and with a chance to go to the tourney, I think you'd see some small conference schools be able to compete in recruiting. Notre Dame coud NEVER get one of these 11 spots unless they join a conference.

2. Pick 5 at large teams. These teams will be the five highest ranked non-conference champs on the BCS standings. This would be Notre Dame's way in.

3. Use the BCS standings to seed teams 1-16.

4. The bowls--I say let them go. YOu could use Vicfurth's plan, I guess. I don't really care. That tradition ($) is killing the sport.

I think the BCS standings being used to select and seed will keep the human element (ie preferential treatment to teams that travel well or have good fan followings) under wraps. And complaining about seeds and the 5 vs. 6 at large team is MUCH preferred to complainnig about #2 vs. #3 overall.

In a sport where so many teams don't play each other, a tourney is IMPERITIVE. Either Auburn or Oklahoma is going to get screwed this year and they won't get the sympathy vote in the other poll like USC (the sports media darlings) did last year.

And the regular season games would still be huge. I'll use my school, Wisconsin. This year, their Michigan State loss puts them on the Bubble and their Iowa loss takes them out. Those games would be important. Every game would still be important, with few exceptions.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4. The bowls--I say let them go. YOu could use Vicfurth's plan, I guess. I don't really care. That tradition ($) is killing the sport.

It may be killing football, but it keeps other sports alive. $14 million goes a long way at some place like Pitt or Utah for smaller sports.

4. The bowls--I say let them go.  YOu could use Vicfurth's plan, I guess.  I don't really care. That tradition ($) is killing the sport.

It may be killing football, but it keeps other sports alive. $14 million goes a long way at some place like Pitt or Utah for smaller sports.

There would still be as much money (maybe more), it would just be spread to more schools, which I think is good

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There would still be as much money (maybe more), it would just be spread to more schools, which I think is good

What's the incentive for the bowls to keep paying out that much money if their game has become less important. Also, you would be spreading money around but one school would get 4 bowl payouts. Dominant as they may be in football, no school should be rewarded that much money for one season. Money is actually spread out more now.

BPS = Bowl Playoff Series

Top eight teams in the BCS formula are eligible.

1v8

2v7

3v6

4v5

First Round Games held at Higher-Ranking School's home field

Semi-Finals held at the Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl

National Championship held at Rose Bowl.

Championship Site to be rotated every year between the Rose, Sugar, and Orange.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived