New Super 14 team

Alphabet Man

Where should the new Australian Super 14 franchise be located?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Where should the new Australian Super 14 franchise be located?

the Super 12 is that best Rugby Union club competition in the world.... there are currently 3 teams from Australia (Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory) 5 from New Zealand and 4 from South Africa

the Super 12 is going to expand to Super 14 and include a new Australian and South African team

i say that Melbourne will get it because of the money fro mcoporates and bussiness in Melbourne, second biggest city in Australia and because MELBOURNE IS THE SPORTS CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Perth should win because they have easily the best bid. Everything is in place including a competitive local club competition, a stadium we could use tomorrow if we wanted, and we sell out Subiaco Oval every season for test rugby. Perth is also a logical stopping point for teams en route to South Africa or returning from South Africa making road trips for other teams easier, by breaking up long flights.

And Perth is much more of a rugby town than Melbourne will ever be. The massive expat English and South African population, not to mention East Coasters like myself would take to this team like a long lost child. You've only got to look at what happened when the Perth Glory started in the soccer, to know that this is not just another AFL state like Victoria or South Australia.

A team in Perth has only got to compete with 2 AFL clubs rather than a multitude of AFL clubs and an NRL team in Melbourne.

It seems Melbourne's only argument for their inclusion is that they're Melbourne the (self-proclaimed) sports capital of Australia. They have no stadium except a plan on paper with a govt promise of cash that could disappear at the next election.

liverpool-1.png

well Western Bulldogs and Kangaroos don't really exist in Melbourne so they don't count.... Melbourne could use Telstra Dome until the new stadium is built. Telstra Dome can move the level one seating in closer for Victorian matches.....and Telstra Dome is closer to the field than at Subiaco, which is long and narrow

That may be true, but I don't think proximity of seating to the field really counts for much in their decision-making process.

Perth would have to be overwhelming favourites to get the tick. There are so many positives and only one major negative (general population). And even then, when you think about it, they have the advantage in that their population only has 2 AFL teams and no NRL team to follow.

As a now (unfortunately) former Victorian, I want Melbourne to get the franchise only because I want the Minister for the AFL Justin Madden to build the rectangular stadium Jeff Kennett promised about ten years ago.

But then if they don't get it, they SHOULD BUILD THE STADIUM ANYWAY for the Storm and Victory to use...

That may be true, but I don't think proximity of seating to the field really counts for much in their decision-making process.

Perth would have to be overwhelming favourites to get the tick. There are so many positives and only one major negative (general population). And even then, when you think about it, they have the advantage in that their population only has 2 AFL teams and no NRL team to follow.

when the Rugby World Cup was here this time last year, Melbourne had a full house for every game played at TD....but imo, they should have used the MCG because of the bigger capacity but stadium works prevented that from happening

the Super 12 season runs from Feb to about May/June and i think that both sports can co-operate in one city....in the end it comes down to which team can survive long-term... i believe it will be Melbourne because of all the money in the city, the international corporations that are based in Melbourne and i think the State government will make this team survive long-term....

when the Rugby World Cup was here this time last year, Melbourne had a full house for every game played at TD....but imo, they should have used the MCG because of the bigger capacity but stadium works prevented that from happening

That is absolutely true... but that was the World Cup. It attracted every rugby fan in the city because it was a novelty event that only happens once every 4 years, and most people won't be able to attend another World Cup match for how ever many years it takes for the Cup to be held in Australia again.

Weekly rugby will attract nowhere NEAR that amount of people to each game. It's like comparing the Olympic 100m final to the professional 100m comps that are held all over the country. There was, what, 100,000 people watching the 100m final at Sydney? I'd be willing to bet that the professional running curcuit gets maybe 1,000 people at a race.

So you can't use the World Cup as proof that Melbournians will go to the rugby. Just look at the Storm's attendances compared to the Kangaroos.

Western Australia has much more of a tradition of Rugby Union I think?? in Melbourne the Super 14 will be competing against AFL and Rugby League, which I think both have more roots in Melbourne. So Perth should get it. Probably will be Melbourne though if Southern Hemisophere sports administrators are anything like ythose up in the Northern Hemisphere.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

i wouldn't use the Kangaroos as an example.... use someone like the Saints, Bombers, Magpies, Blues...

when does the ARU make th announcement? this friday or the one after?

Umm...... the Australia Kangaroos, not the North Melbourne Kangaroos. I was comparing the Melbourne Storm (rugby league team) to the Aussie Kangaroos (rugby league team) in much the same way you were comparing the possibility of a Melbourne rugby union team with the Australian rugby union team. That is, IMO it's stupid to say that the Melbourne super 14 team will get much attendance simply because the World Cup got some massive crowds... because that would be like saying the Storm get as many spectators as the Kangaroos (that's the AUSTRALIA Kangaroos, not North Melbourne). The Storm get tiny crowds, but the Kangaroos generally get far bigger crowds.

i sorta agree on that, if it weren't South African teams that'd be ok..... we need a national club comp

the ARU don't know where the money is obviously- Melbourne > Perth

NZ should move a team, they have too many (5) - well one of the teams (i forgot which one, they have weird names) are playing a home game in Melbourne next year, maybe they can move over here

Perth won the bidding for those who didn't know  :grin:

Pity the team doesn't kick off until 2006. I want the first game next week! ^_^

I hope you realise jr... as the WA end of things here, you and I are now obliged to burden these people with our half-arsed logo and uniform concepts for the new side? :)

Archived