SHAWN GREEN TO DIAMONDBACKS

amare32

Arizona would get Shawn Green and approximately $8M cash in exchange for prospects at C and P. If the RJ deal goes through, the C would be Dioner Navarro. If not, the C would be either Koyie Hill or Chris Snyder.

I'm disturbed by most of the Diamondbacks' moves this off-season. But in fairness, getting Green for Navarro and an arm (depending on which arm) might not be a bad deal for the Snakes.

Pre-ASB: 316 AB, 10 HR, 41 RBI, 35 BB, 57 K, .335 OBP, .399 SLG.

Post-ASB: 274 AB, 18 HR, 45 RBI, 36 BB, 57 K, . 371 OBP, .529 SLG.

While I would certainly prefer that Arizona acquire a slugger w/o a major arm injury, I think the big second half for Green strongly suggests he's a healthier and more productive alternative than either Sexson or Glaus.

If LA is willing to pick up the bulk of his '05 salary, and if the proposed contract extension is reasonable both in dollar value and duration, I think this could be a solid deal.

At 32 years old, a fit Green still should have several solid years ahead of him. I see him playing RF until Carlos Quentin or Connor Jackson are ready, then sliding to 1B.

Of course, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I've been looking for a reason to be optimistic for awhile. It would seem hard for Arizona to botch anything as thoroughly as the Russ Ortiz signing. Time will tell.

Go Snakes!

Archived