what is the Baltimore Orioles font?

The_Admiral

I think they only use it for names on the backs, because the numbers look like standard block letters. But the letters for the O's look like they're chunkier or rounder or something. Is this font around?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The lettering for the Orioles nameplates is very similar to that of the Philadelphia Flyers. Proportionally, it was more square and not as narrow as the default generic block used by the majority of the league.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

No major professional sports team uses Arial. The Flyers may have modified the nameplate lettering in recent years, but it is still a block font, not Arial.

They have modified it. Up until one or two seasons ago, the insides of letters like "O" were slanted at the corners (I'm not sure what the technical term for that is.) They recently changed to the more standard "squared" corners inside the letters. The "O"s and "S"s (and other letters) appeared wide because of the slants. Now they look just like everyone else's block fonts.

You can still see some players (well, maybe next year) wearing the old style letters. I think some of them keep their older jerseys and just have the tags updated from year to year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I found some pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Here is the font used up until 1 or 2 seasons ago (it almost looks round):

soderstomb.jpg

Here is the current one:

JERSEY_LINDROS_wm.jpg

Note that they never used this style during the Lindros era, so this cannot be a truly authentic jersey (it's just the best pic. I could find.)

Also, I think (but I'm not sure) that they used the current style for Vanbiesbrouck when he was here just so they could fit his name on the jersey, even though the rest of the team had the other style.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No, the corners are still slanted. That Lindros jersey pic has full block style letters because thats how Nike produced all of the jerseys. I can guarantee you that the white jerseys still have the same style lettering as that Soderstrom pic. The black jerseys and orange alternates do not.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

The lettering on that white Flyers jersey is the closest one to the Orioles lettering. I can't see the A, but for the Flyers, I think the top of the A tapers in, whereas the top of the Orioles A is squared off more like the majority of MLB lettering.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

No, the corners are still slanted. That Lindros jersey pic has full block style letters because thats how Nike produced all of the jerseys. I can guarantee you that the white jerseys still have the same style lettering as that Soderstrom pic. The black jerseys and orange alternates do not.

I know the Lindros jersey isn't real, but I was just using it as an example of the lettering they switched too.

I can't dispute what you say about the white jersey, because I can't find any good evidence to back me up.

I think they switched it for the orange and the black jersey because of the multiple layers used on the letters. The white only uses black, so it looks fine.

Archived