Pricing Inquiry

bhambruiser

I had a question that I had hoped maybe some more experienced professional designers could help me answer.

I recently did a logo for a person I work with. He is starting his own business and I agreed to help him out with it. He has agreed to pay me for my services and i was wondering what a "normal" logo design job would price out at for similar work.

He was impressed with the logo I created, so I have that going for me. I spent probably 7 hours or so altogether on the logo. I know that everybody is different, but how do some of you guys decide on a price...and what is reasonable for the amount of work put into this?

Any tips/advice would be helpful....thanks in advance.

Freelancer industry rates, per Communication Arts magazine:

Entry-Level Designer - $25/hour

Designer - $40/hour

Senior Designer - $50/hour

Art Director - $60/hour

Creative Director - $75/hour

Determine where you fall in this realm, and be prepared to pay less due to your friendship. And pro bono work isn't all that bad either if it ensures more paying jobs in the future (print advertising, posters, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Cards.png

Myself, I usually just charge a lump sum. But, I also just do it on the side as well, as Menards pays more than enough for me to live comfortably with my dad, and pay for school.

Basically if working with a non profit, ask what they can afford. Do what you can for them, as they are usually very generous in spreading the word.

Really its basically the situation that dictates it. Do what you think, as if you think you undercharged someone, you won't like working on the project. But, if you feel justified in the price, it will show you were happy doing it, and it will show also to the client, which in turn could recommend more business to you.

I could be wrong though....

Unless you are established, I think it totally depends on the client.

If you can get some work for reebok, and you are a "entry-level" designer, by all means charge 75 bucks an hour. They know what its worth, and they certainly can afford it.

But, if its your friend or a start up business. Be happy with what you can get. Usually people go to their friends for a favor. Its not a bad thing at all. You get portfolio work and they get a good logo. Everyone wins.

I've just recently started really charging for freelance work. I've done the probono thing for some businesses that I think are going to take off and perhaps one day I'll be getting paid. One company in particular has lead to 3 other paying jobs from giving them pro bono work. Plus we made an agreement before that they'd give me stock in the company. For doing their image, I've got 1/50th stake in the company. Doesn't sound like much, but say they sell their company (or its worth) for $100,000. I just made 2 grand for my approx. 20 hours of work. Its hit or miss, but I helped out a friend. So in the end, Not bad.

But, someday you've got to start charging a rate. I'm not too that point yet charging full time, mainly cause I can't sell myself. Both I'm unable to do it cause I'm stupid, and my current employment is scared of allowing competition. I can't blame them though. but I don't see any trouble doing business over the internet. It may be unethical, but these people wouldn't go to my current employer anyway.

Its best to agree on something before hand always. Most clients will be scared off if you don't at least present an estimated time that you'll work on something and just say "I charge 50 bucks an hour" Tell them that, and then tell them that you can give them an ok logo in an hour, or you can give them something really good with 5 or 10 hours. They can be the judge of what they can afford. If its something like a brochure that you know will take 10 hours, tell them that. If they can't afford it, its really not worth doing. (unless its a favor of course)

Archived