Cubs pre-3930 batting practice cap

I must be stupid, because I can't find a single photo of it online.

(The mesh 5950 with the black headband inside, pre-2003 I think--not the current dark blue 3930.)

NO, I am not a bandwagon Cubs fan. This is to settle a bet.

I remember it as being identical to their game hats, my friend thinks it looked like the current Cubs b.p. hats.

The Cubs' mesh pre-3930 bp cap was royal blue with the "walking cub" logo - same as the one on the current bp caps.

I can attest to this as well, as I used to have one. Royal blue with the walking bear logo. I always liked that hat, but it was destroyed in an unfortunate camping and fishing accident... Too bad they don't make them anymore. I'm on record as not being a fan of the sizing format of the 39thirtys, as I'm between the M/L and L/XL at 7 5/8...

Moose

yeah my buddy has that old bp hat it was royal blue mesh with the walking cub logo like on the blue alt jerseys they wear all the time.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Ugh ! I lost the bet. :mad:

Oh well. Thank you, everybody who responded.

BTW, I wear a 7 3/8 (right in the middle of the M-L range) and my Yankees 3930 gives me a tension headache--that's how tight it fits me. It also looks a bit goofy--the structured portion (the front two panels) appears too small. The seams should be at least half an inch closer to the sides. I won't order a L-XL, because it's likely to be too loose for my head.

But I love the fabric. It's too bad they won't combine it with a normal fitted headband.

I have an old 5950 b.p. cap too, and it feels much like the wool caps--big, heavy and sweaty.

They still sell the 5950 b.p.s in some stores, but only in very small and very large sizes.

a small quirk in the C-bear logo on both the old and new BP hats-the backmost foot is behind the C for some reason. You can see this depicted in my Cubs BP history.

Personally, I preferred the old BP hats to the new ones, to tell ya the truth.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I see what you mean now. Wow, that's awful.

Not only is the profile of the cub different, but the interior of the C is filled in blue on the hat, and white on the b.p. jersey.

I guess that's what happens when teams no longer control their own trademarks. Sports licensees really don't have an eye for detail. (It used to irritate me greatly that the O on the Marlins' old away jerseys was filled in white instead of grey.)

I may have figured out why the 3930s look so silly. The shape of the visor is different from the 5950s--the 5950s visors are much less squarish. That doesn't explain why the 3930s pinch my temples, though.

Speaking of awful hats, does anybody remember Roman's Cooperstown Collection caps with their wackass split leather sweatbands ? Terrible...

Speaking of awful hats, does anybody remember Roman's Cooperstown Collection caps with their wackass split leather sweatbands ? Terrible...

OMG, yes, I do remember those. In fact, I still have a couple. Gave me such a headache and a bad case of sweatband-forehead.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I see what you mean now. Wow, that's awful.

Not only is the profile of the cub different, but the interior of the C is filled in blue on the hat, and white on the b.p. jersey.

I guess that's what happens when teams no longer control their own trademarks.

yeah, that was teh case for the old BPs. the new ones, I gotta get around to correcting-actually, all of em since RC came out with a new template, but anyway-there's another thing you can see if you ever catch any pregame interviews, Cubs road spring games or find both jersey and hat in a store-the cub on the BP hat is navy, but the cub on the jersey's still royal, basically identical to the one on the alternates.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived