Help needed

CDunn

My mother is writing a book that takes place in Illinois in the late 1800's-early 1900's.  One character is a sports writer for a local newspaper that actually existed back then, and my mom wants to use baseball team names that actually existed in that time.

So what I'm looking for are any teams that played in any league between the years 1885 and 1920 in these three Illinois cities:  Peoria, Bloomington, and Normal.  I'm having a really hard time tracking any teams down, so any help would be appreciated.

You might want to consider a few sources, such as minorleaguebaseball.com, or perhaps some actual league sites... some of them have history sections that could shed some light.

Odds are though you'd have to really do some hard-nosed research (going to the citites and going through newspaper archives and what-not) to find teams that existed in those cities (if there ever were any to begin with) from that era.

There might, however, be an extensive, independently-operated Minor League baseball web site (like baseballreference.com is for MLB) that could help.  If such a site exists and you find it, sharing that info would be a boon to many of us.

Good luck!

nav-logo.png

Peoria had a team in the class A Western League in 1902 and 1903.  It also had a team in the class B Central League that moved from Marion in the middle of the season and then moved back to Marion 2 months later in 1904.

Bloomington had a team in the class B Three-I League from 1902 to 1910.

I don't know any teams in Normal from 1902 to 1910.

My book starts in 1902 so any previous teams I don't have record of.  My book also doesn't have nicknames.  I hope this helps.

ua_logo.jpg

Another potential problem you may have is that many early teams did not have nicknames.  Many nicknames were developed by sportswriters and by fans and could change on a whim.

Archived