Tank Stumper 7/12/05

NJTank

I came up with eight, although I am positive there are many more I'm leaving out.

Hank Aaron

Willie Mays

Roberto Clemente

Frank Robinson

Pete Rose

Johnny Bench

Reggie Jackson

Harmon Killebrew

6uXNWAo.png

I can think of eighteen who played. They are:

Hank Aaron

Luis Aparicio

Johnny Bench

Lou Brock

Rod Carew

Roberto Clemente

Reggie Jackson

Fergie Jenkins

Al Kaline

Harmon Killebrew

Juan Marichal

Willie Mays

Willie McCovey

Jim Palmer

Brooks Robinson

Frank Robinson

Willie Stargell

Carl Yastrzemski

Additionally, pitchers Steve Carlton and Tom Seaver were on the National League roster but did not enter the game.

As for three of the players that Dirty Curty (1) and ABAsite (2) mentioned... though he played in the 1971 All-Star Game Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame, while Hall of Famers Phil Niekro and Gaylord Perry did not participate in the '71 ASG.

Both managers in the 1971 MLB All-Star Game - Sparky Anderson and Earl Weaver - are Hall of Famers.

I heard this last night on the HR derby. 18 played and something like 23 were in the lineups.

As far as naming them...can't do too many so I won't embarrass myself by naming them.

I can think of twenty. They are:

Hank Aaron

Luis Aparicio

Johnny Bench

Lou Brock

Rod Carew

Steve Carlton

Roberto Clemente

Reggie Jackson

Fergie Jenkins

Al Kaline

Harmon Killebrew

Juan Marichal

Willie Mays

Willie McCovey

Jim Palmer

Brooks Robinson

Frank Robinson

Tom Seaver

Willie Stargell

Carl Yastrzemski

As for three of the players that Dirty Curty (1) and ABAsite (2) mentioned... though he played in the 1971 All-Star Game Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame, while Hall of Famers Phil Niekro and Gaylord Perry did not in the '71 ASG.

Additionally, both managers in the 1971 MLB All-Star Game - Sparky Anderson and Earl Weaver - are Hall of Famers.

Whoa. :blink: See Braden's comment.

I tried to lowball it, I didn't think there would be that many! :D

To the best of my knowledge, there are only eight umpires in the Baseball Hall of Fame: Al Barlick, Nestor Chylak, Jocko Conlan, Tom Connolly, Billy Evans, Cal Hubbard, Bill Klem and Bill McGowan. None of them worked the 1971 MLB All-Star Game. The '71 ASG umpiring crew was comprised of Frank Umont behind home plate, Paul Pryor at first base, Jim O'Donnell at second base, Doug Harvey at third base, Don Denkinger in right field and Nick Colosi in left field.

Also, I've ammended my initial post to make it more specific. Twenty future Baseball Hall of Famers appeared on the player rosters for the 1971 MLB All-Star Game, eighteen of whom played. Pitchers Steve Carlton and Tom Seaver were not used by the National League.

19 is the answer

with

Aaron

Aparicio

Bench

Carlton

Carew

Clemente

R. Jackson

Jenkins

Kaline

Killebrew

Marichal

Mays

McCovey

Palmer

B. Robinson

F. Robinson

Seaver

Stargel

Yastrezemski

Only Seaver and Carlton did not get in the game.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Nineteen is not the answer.

You left Lou Brock off of your list, Tank. He had a single plate appearance in the 1971 All-Star Game, bunting and being thrown out in the ninth inning.

He brings the total to twenty future Hall of Famers on the player rosters in the '71 ASG: eighteen who played, plus Carlton and Seaver who did not get in as National League pitchers.

Archived