Baseball Card Concept...

eriqjaffe

It works great - for the White Sox. The lettering comes from the uniforms and the wordmark, and the pinwheels come from the exploding scoreboard. I wonder how many non-White Sox fans would pick up on this.

My question is this: could you translate the idea and adapt it for the other 29 teams? As in, coming up with positional lettering based on the other wordmarks (script Orioles? Olde English Tigers?). What about the player names for the Yankees, who have nothing on their uniforms to base your design on? And my biggest question - can you come up with identifiable stadium elements for the other teams?

If you can do all this, you're my new hero, because this is a great idea. But I see it shaping up to be a very ambitious project. I'd love to see it work out...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It works great - for the White Sox.  The lettering comes from the uniforms and the wordmark, and the pinwheels come from the exploding scoreboard.  I wonder how many non-White Sox fans would pick up on this.

My question is this: could you translate the idea and adapt it for the other 29 teams?  As in, coming up with positional lettering based on the other wordmarks (script Orioles?  Olde English Tigers?).  What about the player names for the Yankees, who have nothing on their uniforms to base your design on?  And my biggest question - can you come up with identifiable stadium elements for the other teams?

If you can do all this, you're my new hero, because this is a great idea.  But I see it shaping up to be a very ambitious project.  I'd love to see it work out...

Yeah, the Sox are somewhat unique with the pinwheels, which are almost used as a tertiary logo at this point. Still, the basis for the card can be adapted to a bunch of other teams:

erstadcardboard2cz.jpg

The teams with script wordmarks would be a bit trickier, especially in the "position" area, as well as teams without secondary logos (such as the Angels there).

For most teams, basic MLB Block would be the obvious choice for the players' name, and that would probably be used for the Yankees, as well (it matches very closely with the "NEW YORK" road script)...

And, yeah, there is a cardboard texture thrown on to sell the "card" nature of it.

edit: Yeah, yeah, I know. Erstad plays first base.

The White Sox set looks pretty darn nice... I definitely see the trouble in doing other teams, though. I mean, the Angels really don't give you anything to work with, but having four of those A's is a little bit overkill. Gotta have a rally monkey and some thunderstix in there or something.

I'd be real tempted to add a white outline to the Angels wordmark up top to make it pop out of there some, because I think it's a little lost.

I think you could get away with that White Sox font for all the positions, although the exploding scoreboard pinwheels are just not gonna work for the Astros or the Cubbies.

I guess I'm gonna have to use that cardboard texturing, too. Hope you don't mind if I steal that idea.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Here's a re-working for the Angels, this should prove to be a more universally adaptable style:

erstadcardboard29pf.jpg

This way, I was able to keep the logo on the card without repeating it a bunch of times...

Oh, and feel free to use the cardboard texture technique. It's just using the Photoshop "Texturizer" filter, with the default settings and this cardboard texture I found on the web:

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/metanoia-style/freetx/cardboard.jpg

I like that Angels re-work. Good stuff. Only minor changes from there.... Maybe bring in the circles a little bit because it seems to me they're crowding the edges a bit much. That and I'm not totally sold on using the team's font for the player's name. I think it works much better on the position than it does for the player.

Solid work.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Personally, I like using the team-specific font for the player name. I didn't with the White Sox one largely because the font is just so darn wide...

Anyhow, I agree that it looks better with the circles moved in, here's another one:

andruwjones4ln.jpg

Archived