Will's Trivia

WJMorris3

After play on Sunday, July 31, the Arizona Diamondbacks lead the NL West with a record of 52-55.

Has any team finished atop their division/league with a sub-.500 record at the end of a season? If so, who? If not, who's the closest to that feat?

LvZYtbZ.png

Not involving strikes, I'd say it has never happened.

I am thinking that maybe an AL West team in the mid 1980s may be the closest in non-strike years. Minnesota was 85-77 in 1987, but I feel like a team may have won that division one year with 83 wins.

In other words, I have no answer.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If we're just talking baseball, the 94 Rangers and 81 Royals would get a nod thanks to labor stoppages those years...

In a non-strike season, it's probably either the 87 Twins or the 73 Mets that were the closest to being under .500 at the end of a season...

If it's all of sports, then I think the winner would be the 67-68 NHL Western Division (aka The Next 6)...I don't think ANY of the teams (Philly, Minnesota, LA, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, & Oakland) finished above .500 that year, while almost everyone in the East was above .500...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived