Full Names On Jerseys?

SteveToms

Remember Jack and Jim Youngblood with the Rams? They had their first names above their last names. So did Marques Johnson when he was with the Bucks. (I can't remember who the other M. Johnson was.)

The Oklahoma Sooners used to put last name, first initial on their jerseys when they felt the need to differentiate players with the same last name.

Remember Jack and Jim Youngblood with the Rams? They had their first names above their last names. So did Marques Johnson when he was with the Bucks. (I can't remember who the other M. Johnson was.)

Mickey Johnson was the other Buck.

regarding what OU used to do, Utah used to do that too-using Mike Anderson as an example, they used to have it ANDERSON, M.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I know the Browns have Andre and Andra Davis. Because only the last letter is different, they bothe have full nameplates.

It won't or shouldn't be like that anymore now that Andre' Davis is a Patriot.

Ron Sutter had his full name on his jersey when he and brother Rich were both Flyers.

44.gif

A sort of aside:

John Madden tells a story about when he was coaching the Raiders that one player came up to him and wanted to know why he could not have his full name displayed on the back of his jersey.

Madden's reply was that the NFL only allows the first initial when two players on the roster share a last name and that the league would only allow the full first name if the first initials were the same. That wasn't the case for this player.

The player's response was "Coach, we've got a guy who has his first and last name on his jersey!"

"Who?" Madden asked?

"Van Eeghen" the player replied.

Archived