Rhode Island baseball jersey?

JetsLuvver

Another instance of color-changes on a campus -- this time, high school.

Every team at Walpole High School in Massachusetts wears blue and orange -- except the field hockey team. They have never worn orange and are instead blue and light blue. Even their nickname is different; every sports team at the school are the Rebels; the field hockey players are the Porkers.

Please let this be a joke.. because if it's not, it's the greatest thing EVER.

Have a look at the 10/24 Needham Daily News-Transcript.

I know there must be a reasonable explanation for the name (does anyone know it, by the way), but that is just hysterical. They obviously must know the potential for mean-spirited humor that the name creates.

It reminds me of Lehigh's short-lived adoption of the name "Packers" in honor of university founder Asa Packer. The reason it was short-lived is that Lehigh's primary color is BROWN (need I say more . . . insert own joke here).

"Porkers" is actually a source of pride.

Here's the history:

http://walpoleporkers.com/page6.html

Doesn't mention why the team doesn't wear orange, however.

Another instance of color-changes on a campus -- this time, high school.

Every team at Walpole High School in Massachusetts wears blue and orange -- except the field hockey team. They have never worn orange and are instead blue and light blue. Even their nickname is different; every sports team at the school are the Rebels; the field hockey players are the Porkers.

Please let this be a joke.. because if it's not, it's the greatest thing EVER.

Have a look at the 10/24 Needham Daily News-Transcript.

I know there must be a reasonable explanation for the name (does anyone know it, by the way), but that is just hysterical. They obviously must know the potential for mean-spirited humor that the name creates.

It reminds me of Lehigh's short-lived adoption of the name "Packers" in honor of university founder Asa Packer. The reason it was short-lived is that Lehigh's primary color is BROWN (need I say more . . . insert own joke here).

"Porkers" is actually a source of pride.

Here's the history:

http://walpoleporkers.com/page6.html

Doesn't mention why the team doesn't wear orange, however.

Good story.

Since the Packer name was foisted upon Lehigh by its administration, I can tell you that it was NOT a source of pride for the students and alums. It made it very easy for those of us at Lafayette to have some fun at their expense.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived