Rhode Island baseball jersey?

JetsLuvver

Looks like a high school near where I grew up. Doesn't look URI, that's sure.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It is not uncommon for specific teams within a university to slightly alter their colors. I know that even though the University of Rochester's colors have always been Navy and Gold, from the '50s through the '70s their football team wore BLACK and Gold. Their jerseys were the Princeton style with the alternating thin gold-wide black stripes on the sleeves. The white jerseys also carried the Black and Gold sleeves. U of R's nickname is the Yellowjackets and the stripes were supposed to replicate the wasp's tail.

As for URI, Navy has been used in baseball far more than the light blue. UCLA also did this and may still do it (use Navy). The script font appears to be Wilson's stock script. I wish we could see the label at the neck. :wacko:

Almost looks like a West Chester U. Golden Rams jersey, except theirs is purple/gold.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

expanding a bit on bulldogbarks' point, Georgia Tech routinely altered between black and navy for many years...and Clemson's helmet stripes had actually been navy instead of purple for a long time (IIRC, even during the early 90s when they donned purple jerseys for a few years, the stripes were still navy). Unsurprisingly, go lower than the big-name schools and you'll see more of this maddening inconsistency...heck, my old school UW Whitewater wears purple with black and/or silver trim; however, back when Bob Wickman was there, the baseball team apparently used gold trim instead. for decent measure, for some odd reason our rugby club wears royal blue and green. Don't know why, never bothered to ask.

for more measure, when I was in high school my team began wearing black facemasks on otherwise green, old gold and white uniforms. The year after I left, the new home jerseys had yellow trim instead of the old gold, which looked odd the next year when the helmet logo changed from a white wing to a metallic gold C. last year they got the golds matching again. they STILL have the black facemasks, however...guess they figure nobody's gonna notice :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

URI used to have school colors of Blue, Yellow and light blue in the early 80s.

Since the light blue doesn't show up on a grey jersey, they went with the normal blue only.

This indeed appears to be an URI jersey.

GO FRIARS!

:D

I had to figure there was an explanation for this one. All the seller's other college baseball jerseys had the right colors and logos, but this stood out.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

URI used to have school colors of Blue, Yellow and light blue in the early 80s.

Since the light blue doesn't show up on a grey jersey, they went with the normal blue only.

This indeed appears to be an URI jersey.

GO FRIARS!

:D

:welcome:

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• 1 month later...

Another instance of color-changes on a campus -- this time, high school.

Every team at Walpole High School in Massachusetts wears blue and orange -- except the field hockey team.

dulski.jpg

They have never worn orange and are instead blue and light blue.

emily.jpg

Even their nickname is different; every sports team at the school are the Rebels; the field hockey players are the Porkers.

Every team at Walpole High School in Massachusetts wears blue and orange -- except the field hockey team. They have never worn orange and are instead blue and light blue. Even their nickname is different; every sports team at the school are the Rebels; the field hockey players are the Porkers.

Please let this be a joke.. because if it's not, it's the greatest thing EVER.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I realize that this is an old thread, but from my research over the last few years, is that a large majority of schools have different color schemes for the institution vs. the athletic teams - or as it's been mentioned - even between different teams themselves. For example, the University of Notre Dame has completely different colors to represent the school vs. the colors used by the athletic teams:

NotreDameUof_INS_2005_SOL.jpg

NotreDameUof_ATH_2005_SOL.jpg

I've got literally HUNDREDS of examples like this...

Every team at Walpole High School in Massachusetts wears blue and orange -- except the field hockey team. They have never worn orange and are instead blue and light blue. Even their nickname is different; every sports team at the school are the Rebels; the field hockey players are the Porkers.

Have a look at the 10/24 Needham Daily News-Transcript.

Have a look at the 10/24 Needham Daily News-Transcript.

I know there must be a reasonable explanation for the name (does anyone know it, by the way), but that is just hysterical. They obviously must know the potential for mean-spirited humor that the name creates.

It reminds me of Lehigh's short-lived adoption of the name "Packers" in honor of university founder Asa Packer. The reason it was short-lived is that Lehigh's primary color is BROWN (need I say more . . . insert own joke here).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Unsurprisingly, go lower than the big-name schools and you'll see more of this maddening inconsistency...

It always bothered me that UConn is Navy, White and Red for nearly every team except football, which is Navy and Silver. The official colors are Navy and Silver, so I guess football is the only one who got it correct, but lets have some consistancy please. And don't get me started on the big "C" on their helmet when they have a perfectly good athletic logo (the husky) that would look great on their helmets. The "C" doesn't even make sense cause they never have really been known as "Connecticut", it's always UConn.

It always bothered me that UConn is Navy, White and Red for nearly every team except football, which is Navy and Silver.  The official colors are Navy and Silver, so I guess football is the only one who got it correct, but lets have some consistancy please.  And don't get me started on the big "C" on their helmet when they have a perfectly good athletic logo (the husky) that would look great on their helmets.  The "C" doesn't even make sense cause they never have really been known as "Connecticut", it's always UConn.

The official institutional colors for the U. of Connecticut are Navy Blue and White, with Gray as an accent. Just recently, the athletic teams modified the logo and made Silver the "official" accent color. Red has been an unofficial secondary color for years (as you stated). For decades prior to these recent changes, the school called their colors "National Flag Blue and White".

Here's the institutional and athletic colors:

ConnecticutUof_INS_2005_SOL.jpg

ConnecticutUof_ATH_2005_SOL.jpg

There's also a nice write-up on the school colors' history here:

A Piece of UConn History

Archived