Pay-Per-View In The NHL

BCBoy

Well, the Vancouver Canucks and many other NHL teams are releasing their 2005/06

NHL Television schedule and once again, here in Vancouver, we've been blasted with

17 pay-per-view games. The year before the lockout there was 17 as well and the year

before that there were 7-10. When CBA agreement was ratified I really thought this

year they were going to give BACK to the fans, yet here in Vancouver, since they

knew PPV was such a success they went for the $$$$ over the fans (no surprise)

and nailed us with 17 PPV games. The good part is if you pay for the PPV you will

only be missing 1 game all year, which won't be televised for some reason.

Basically the Canucks organization is saying, if you want to watch the game, you're

gonna have to toss out some dollars (either going to the games or wathcing the PPV)

Key PPV game: Vancouver AT Colorado---The return of Bertuzzi to Colorado

I don't know if 17 is a lot or a little, but I'm curious to know how many teams

go the PPV way and how many there will be this season for other teams

Well, the Vancouver Canucks and many other NHL teams are releasing their 2005/06

NHL Television schedule and once again, here in Vancouver, we've been blasted with

17 pay-per-view games. The year before the lockout there was 17 as well and the year

before that there were 7-10. When CBA agreement was ratified I really thought this

year they were going to give BACK to the fans, yet here in Vancouver, since they

and nailed us with 17 PPV games. The good part is if you pay for the PPV you will

Basically the Canucks organization is saying, if you want to watch the game, you're

gonna have to toss out some dollars (either going to the games or wathcing the PPV)

actually the 1 game that wasn't going to be televised is going to be on CBC, so if you pay for the stupid PPV games you'll get all 82.

8prlQWA.png

before that there were 7-10. When CBA  agreement was ratified I really thought this

Last I checked, the Canucks (and the other 29 teams) were still businesses.

gonna have to toss out some dollars

yet here in Vancouver, since they

knew PPV was such a success they went for the $$$$

Yeah, better toss out that successful plan. I guess they could put every game on tv and just give out the tickets. Free beer at the concession stands sound ok, too? The true fan will either buy tickets to the home game, pay to watch it on tv or not bitch about it. Not everything in life is free no matter how much you feel it's owed to you.

Yeah, better toss out that successful plan. I guess they could put every game on tv and just give out the tickets. Free beer at the concession stands sound ok, too? The true fan will either buy tickets to the home game, pay to watch it on tv or not bitch about it. Not everything in life is free no matter how much you feel it's owed to you.

You're right sports is a business, but look at Nascar. They are way more successful

than hockey these days because they do so much for the fans, while hockey (not

so much in Canada) should be trying to get fans to come back to the building and

if some people can't see the new product on TV since they don't want to shell out $

for PPV, they won't come to the games

You're right sports is a business, but look at Nascar. They are way more successful

so much in Canada) should be trying to get fans to come back to the building and

if some people can't see the new product on TV since they don't want to shell out $

So 65 free games isn't enough for someone to make a decision on whether or not they like hockey in Vancouver? Let's say every team plays 20 games on ppv. That's still 62 over the air games that team is going to play. 1860 free games across the country that the "casual fan" could watch to decide if he likes hockey.

So 65 free games isn't enough for someone to make a decision on whether or not they like hockey in Vancouver? Let's say every team plays 20 games on ppv. That's still 62 over the air games that team is going to play. 1860 free games across the country that the "casual fan" could watch to decide if he likes hockey.

ok...you win :P

I consider myself a big hockey fan, I go to some of the games and I'll watch the

rest of them on TV. I think that the "casual fans" will come to more games in the

past since of the new rule changes

There are 17,000 season ticket holders here

17,700 is our capacity for GM Place

So since they know they won't get many more coming to the games on a regular basis they decide to get more money by putting games on PPV

Yes, very smart, this can only help them since they know tonnes will by PPV

So its a win-win for the organization

So it helps the overall NHL

Good Point

I am being selfish by saying I want ALL 82 TO BE on TV.

65 games on TV is deifnately enough

And should be happy that THEY PUT 65 on TV

I don't really consider it a priviledge to watch a home team play games on TV, it is a right we should have as satellite or cable subscribers. With the outrageous costs of satellite and cable television, you would hope that you could at least see the local sports team play for free. Pay-per-view has always been a ridiculous concept to begin with, and its sad to see that it's starting to rear its ugly head on the local sports scene.

I don't really consider it a priviledge to watch a home team play games on TV, it is a right we should have as satellite or cable subscribers. With the outrageous costs of satellite and cable television, you would hope that you could at least see the local sports team play for free. Pay-per-view has always been a ridiculous concept to begin with, and its sad to see that it's starting to rear its ugly head on the local sports scene.

What does the cost of your cable have to do with a sports team making money? If you wanted to see your team on cable every home game, that would only make your bill go up more.

Why is PPV ridiculous, by the way?

Okay, so your local cable or satellite provider should be buying the rights to broadcast these games, not the customer. The customer is already paying a flat rate each month to watch what they broadcast (which used to include local sporting events), that's why PPV is ridiculous.

The team could make money if Comcast or Dish or DirecTV would pay for the rights to broadcast games and just broadcast them. There's no reason to pass these fees along to the customer. It's a rip-off when your average cable bill is already around $40 a month.

I'm not saying its all the teams' fault, obviously. I just don't like PPV, and I don't think it makes you more of a fan if you shell out more cash to watch games. I know I won't, and I've been a die hard Penguin fan for over 10 years. Although I'm pretty sure we don't have PPV games here.

Archived