Red Sox Shortstops?

Brass

Could someone tell me why the Sox didn't want to give Orlando Cabrera a 4 year deal because of Hanley Ramirez's progress, yet offered Edgar Renteria a 4 year deal worth more money?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

It didn't have anything to do with Hanley Ramirez, they felt O-Cab was having a career year and wouldn't put up the same type of offensive numbers over a full year. The Sox brass felt Renteria was an upgrade in offense, and Cabrera's equal defensively.

If you're wondering about Hanley Ramirez though, the plan is to convert him into an outfielder, most likely centerfield.

It didn't have anything to do with Hanley Ramirez, they felt O-Cab was having a career year and wouldn't put up the same type of offensive numbers over a full year. The Sox brass felt Renteria was an upgrade in offense, and Cabrera's equal defensively.

If you're wondering about Hanley Ramirez though, the plan is to convert him into an outfielder, most likely centerfield.

Well after they let Cabrera walk and before they signed Edgah, Theo said Hanley would be ready for SS in 1-2 years and they didn't want to comite to a long term SS deal like Cabrera wanted.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Renteria shoulda been expected to be Cabrera's superior offensively and defensively, but he's a fairly big flop for the money, eh?

I was sorry to see Edgar go, but was ticked and still will be at him. The Cardinals came within just a few million (and when we're talking what he got that's nothing) of matching the Sox offer and Edgar supposedly wanted to stay in St. Louis, but he walked for the extra few bucks. Err...wait...I mean...those extra few bucks meant more respect according to Edgar (even though what the Cards were offering was a much higher proportion of their payroll). Oh well, thank goodness it was the Sox who Edgar decided to let overpay him.

Then of course the Angels overpaid Cabrera.

And of course the Cards were 'stuck' signing Eckstein as the worst free agent signing of the summer (according to ESPN right before the season started) for 3 mill a year over 2 years.

And as it turns out, Eck's the best of the bunch.

I am telling you Theo is running the Sox like a fantasy team. He falls in love with new players every year and other than Damon and Varitek will keep trading away players every year. The Red Sox will be like the Yankees..

Thankfully Jocketty tries to build for the long term and looks for players who fit into an overall scheme..

Some teams have to be smarter because they don't have the money the Yankees and Red Sox have to waste every year

I imagine he'll be better next season. It's not only his first year in the pressure cooker that is Boston, it's his first year in the American League. Players typically struggle when switching leagues.

He's hitting .304 since the All-Star Break. His defense has been awful, but I, personally, would expect that to change since you don't just forget how to play defense.

He should be alright.

I also believe that he once said he'd be willing to switch positions to accomodate Hanley Ramirez.

I am telling you Theo is running the Sox like a fantasy team. He falls in love with new players every year and other than Damon and Varitek will keep trading away players every year. The Red Sox will be like the Yankees..

Thankfully Jocketty tries to build for the long term and looks for players who fit into an overall scheme..

Um... K... so why, outside of SS and 2B* is the Red Sox starting roster the same as it was last year?

*And Bellhorn was absolutely awful, that's why he's gone.

IUe6Hvh.png

Some teams have to be smarter because they don't have the money the Yankees and Red Sox have to waste every year

Sour grapes because your team got swept last year...if the Cards did the same thing and won the series, you wouldn't have plop to say about it.

But at least they got there, right? :D

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Please keep in mind that, while the Red Sox have the second-highest payroll in the league, they have nowhere NEAR the funds the Yankees do. Please don't put the Sox in that category just yet.

And don't you dare rip on Theo.

Archived