Florida State University

AAO

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only name I think should be changed is Redskins. Because that's exactly like having a profile of a Martin Luther King or Malcom X-esque logo with the name Blackskins. Or a profile of a man that resembles George Washington and naming that team Whiteskins.

I think Redskins would be OK of the Dallas Cowboys changed their name to the Dallas Palefaces.

Something tells me that the Redskins will not change their name. Maybe it's the tradition surrounding the name, or maybe it's the insane amounts of profits the team is making. Don't for get about the Cleveland Indians, whose name will never change because they have no body like the NCAA governing over them.

Why couldn't UND just drop the "Fighting" moniker and be the "Sioux"? The "Fighting" part is the only thing that is offensive to the tribes, or at least that is what I read a while back.

Why couldn't UND just drop the "Fighting" moniker and be the "Sioux"? The "Fighting" part is the only thing that is offensive to the tribes, or at least that is what I read a while back.

That's one of the reasons, but there are a few more.

Some note that Sioux is not the real name for the tribe. The true name is Lakota (Imagine the North Dakota Lakota). Sioux is derived from a French word meaning snake, according to what I heard.

Some are angry that UND has not had many discussions with the tribes. I think that's a huge reason.

And some, of course, are going to be angry with any team that is predominantly white using an American Indian nickname.

But you are right. Few people really call them the Fighting Sioux. People here in North Dakota talk about Sioux hockey, not Fighting Sioux hockey. Dropping "Fighting" would be a good start, but UND has to talk more and more with the tribes.

• 4 weeks later...
I like all the concepts however

They are called Hurricanes in the Atlantic

They are called Typhoons in the Pacific

They are called Cyclones in the Indian

Only hurricanes would work for FSU, still dont know how a Cyclone got in Iowa

The Iowa State Cyclones take their name from a Chicago newspaper headline after thrashing, I believe, Chicago University. The headline read something like "Iowa Cyclone destroys Chicago"

The were known as the Cardinals before that and retain Cardinal red as their primary color and use a cardinal likeness for their live mascot.

Archived