Florida State University

AAO

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well that last set is great. Another downside in the Typhoon-Cyclone idea is those are just other ways of saying "Hurricane", depending on what part of the world the storm is occuring in. I'm going by memory here but...

A Cyclone is a hurricane in the Indian Ocean (and, apparently, over Ames Iowa :))

A Typhoon is a hurricane in the Pacific Ocean, particulary in the Far East.

So I know someone as detail-oriented as yourself wouldn't want to committ a Weather Channel faux-pas like this.

Like I said though, awesome logo!

AAO, I like 99% of the stuff you do and this is no different. The logo definately fits Miami U better than FSu (I think)...and I was also going to say the same thing as lucky did, regarding differences in meteorlogical terminology.

Looks good.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like all the concepts however

They are called Hurricanes in the Atlantic

They are called Typhoons in the Pacific

They are called Cyclones in the Indian

Only hurricanes would work for FSU, still dont know how a Cyclone got in Iowa

Signature intentionally left blank

Here's from dictionary.com about cyclone:

cy·clone    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (skln)

n.

1. Meteorology.

a. An atmospheric system characterized by the rapid inward circulation of air  masses about a low-pressure center, usually accompanied by stormy, often destructive weather. Cyclones circulate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

b. A violent tropical storm, especially one originating in the southwestern Pacific Ocean or Indian Ocean.

2. A violent rotating windstorm.

3. Any of various devices using centrifugal force to separate materials.

I'd say, judging by 1a and 2, that a cyclone applies to Iowa. But Tornadoes would be better for Iowa State than Cyclones.

Love the UM concept for UM much more than FSU. And though I detest FSU, I applaud them for not blinking when the NCAA told them to change their name.

I'd hate to see the "U" come off the helmet, only because it has to be one of the 5 most recognizable helmets in college football. But it would be a better logo than that diamond/hurricane/ibis hybrid they use now.

As for the uniform, the FSU concept screams Boston College, which is worse now that they're in the same conference. The Miami concept is too futuristic for me but I could see UM wearing them.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

This might be my favorite of all AAO work, and one of the best I have seen from anyone, frankly. However, I am wondering if, after Katrina, the use of hurricane names and imagery will become "un-PC" since it may be connected with the disaster of New Orleans. I hope that is not the case, but I couldn't help wondering.

LT

New Orleans and the Gulf Coast wasn't the first area to be hit by a hurricane, in fact, it isn't even the worst hurricane to hit the Southeastern United States; that may be Andrew back in the 1990s. I hate that people are making this huge deal and talking about it when they should be going out and donating blood, money, clothes, food, etc.

To question it now when it was never questioned before is ridiculous. Same goes for tribal nicknames. Soon there are going to be no more ethnic nicknames, so no more Indians/Braves/Seminoles/Norsemen.

Then no more disaster nicknames, leaving out Hurricanes/Cyclones/Lightning/Tide. Eventually, there are only going to be animal nicknames, then PETA will step in and say animals should not be subject to the kind of profiling a sports nickname subjects them to, and then we have no nicknames, except inanimate objects.

It's getting out of hand. I don't want to be cheering for the Walls and the Staplers in 20 years.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Chicago's soccer team is named after the worst tragedy in the city's history...

...but also uses a lot of firefighter imagery.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

To question it now when it was never questioned before is ridiculous. Same goes for tribal nicknames. Soon there are going to be no more ethnic nicknames, so no more Indians/Braves/Seminoles/Norsemen.

Then no more disaster nicknames, leaving out Hurricanes/Cyclones/Lightning/Tide. Eventually, there are only going to be animal nicknames, then PETA will step in and say animals should not be subject to the kind of profiling a sports nickname subjects them to, and then we have no nicknames, except inanimate objects.

It's getting out of hand. I don't want to be cheering for the Walls and the Staplers in 20 years.

HAHAHAHAHA

2025 NCAA State Football Champs: The University of Miami Sand! (Hurricane is a disaster that takes lives, so they ditched it.)

2020 NBA Champions: Portland Docks (Name Changed from Blazers due to the fact that "blazing" is another term for smoking weed.)

2022 NFL Champions: Washington Windows (Bill Gates dislikes use of the name Redskins, buys the team, changes team name to the product that made him the millionaire he is)

Concepts to be up soon.

From the University of Utah's "Ute Traditions" section of their website.

The University of Utah and the Utes

University of Utah athletics teams are known as the "Utes" in honor of the American Indian tribe for which the state of Utah is named. The Utes have inhabited this area of the country for at least 1,000 years. There were originally 12 "Nuche", or "The People", bands throughout Utah and Colorado. The Utes were among the first American Indians to acquire the horse as a means of transportation, and in rock writing the Utes are depicted as horses.

After several armed conflicts with Mormon settlers in 1861, the Utes were relocated to the Uintah Basin in northeastern Utah. Today, tribal headquarters are in Fort Duchesne, Utah, and the Ute Tribe, with a membership of 3,300 and its own tribal government, remains a vibrant part of the state. The University of Utah, in cooperation with the Ute Tribal Business Committee, is proud to share in the tradition of the Ute tribe through the "Utes" nickname.

This is the reason I do not see how nicknames like these offend these cultures. The University of Utah uses the Ute name to honor the men and women of the tribe, past, present, and future; not to demean, belittle, or poke fun at them. It puts these cultures on a pedestal; a name the athletes are proud to wear on their uniform and a name they are proud to have represent themselves.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yea, if your damn state is actually named after an indian tribe, then i see nothing wrong with having it also be the name for a college in that state.

Utah Utes

Illinois Illini

Complete genius.

Florida State Seminoles, too. They're all fine to me.

The only name I think should be changed is Redskins. Because that's exactly like having a profile of a Martin Luther King or Malcom X-esque logo with the name Blackskins. Or a profile of a man that resembles George Washington and naming that team Whiteskins.

Hey, Agains All Odds, the jury is still out on whether or not the NCAA will allow the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname. Since the North Dakota tribes are against the nickname, my bet is the NCAA will force UND to change. You might want to come up with a new North Dakota-ish name and logo (my favorite has bee to switch it to the Fighting Norse).

you know if Red River High School (Grand Forks) (booo!) didnt already have the name "RoughRiders", then I think that would have been a great alternate if we couldnt use Sioux anymore. That is one of North Dakota's nicknames, "The Roughrider State"

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The University of Utah, in cooperation with the Ute Tribal Business Committee, is proud to share in the tradition of the Ute tribe through the "Utes" nickname.

In my mind, this is the key. The tribe themselves are ok with the idea, so there is no reason for argument. Even if the nickname was used with all good and honorable intentions, if the tribe still is offended or doesn't like the idea, then there would be a problem.

AAO - I think I started this p.c. nicknames discussion on this thread. I didn't intend for it to be a hijacking. My apologies.

LT

The University of Utah, in cooperation with the Ute Tribal Business Committee, is proud to share in the tradition of the Ute tribe through the "Utes" nickname.

In my mind, this is the key. The tribe themselves are ok with the idea, so there is no reason for argument. Even if the nickname was used with all good and honorable intentions, if the tribe still is offended or doesn't like the idea, then there would be a problem.

AAO - I think I started this p.c. nicknames discussion on this thread. I didn't intend for it to be a hijacking. My apologies.

LT

The only name I think should be changed is Redskins. Because that's exactly like having a profile of a Martin Luther King or Malcom X-esque logo with the name Blackskins. Or a profile of a man that resembles George Washington and naming that team Whiteskins.

Defintely agree with these points.

Archived