Whither the bobcats?

yh

Okay, I know that the majority of the regulars on this board are not fans of the Charlotte Bobcats name, logo or colors, but I am curious as to whether any of you have actually seen any Bobcat merchandise in your local stores.  Here in St. Louis I have always been able to pick up logo merchandise from brand new teams within days of the release of the logos, however it's been a few months and I have yet to see any items from the Bobcats.  I can't walk into a sporting goods store without seeing a whole array of different items featuring the new Cavs' and Nuggets logos and colors (everyone is selling LeBron James jerseys) and I can't help wondering whether there might be a re-evaluation of the Bobcats' logo and colors going on.  

So, while I realize very few of you are shopping for Bobcat items, are you at least finding anything available other than what's being peddled from the NBA.com site?

I realize the team doesn't start play for another year, however merchandising usually starts right away and that's what piqued my curiosity regarding the possibility that they may not be so committed to the present design.  I have Marlins and Rockies merchandise from 1991, Carolina and Jacksonville stuff from 1993 and a D-Rays cap from 1995.  I just thought it odd that there appears to be no effort whatsoever to market this team right off the bat.  Given the success that the prior NBA franchise in that city had with marketing, I would have thought there would have been at least some Bobcat material floating around by now.

Being about 25 miles from Charlotte, yes, there is some Bobcat merchandise floating around in stores. The "official" stuff isn't out yet, but the generic "Charlotte Bobcats Basketball" shirts, basically the same shirt in black, white, and gray. Once they come out with a decent looking orange shirt, I'll get one.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I think it's because basketball gear is a player-driven market. Without a player on the roster, its near impossible for the team to market itself. If you'll remember, the Raptors had a player to market, they sold Isiah Thomas jerseys for two years before they signed their first player.

BRice16

i work in Charlotte and see very little evidence "we" have a team.  the sportstalk (610am WFNZ, which kicks a$$) gives hardly any attention to them.  sure, they're just starting the new arena downtown and there is no offical players yet, but you would expect to see something.  right now there is a season ticket drive to attract the former Hornets season tix holders to come back to NBA.  there are a few print ads in the newspapers.  so many folks here just don't care right now.  the economy is tight, our politicos ignored the will of the (voting) people and are spending mucho tax money for the arena, etc for a billionare to get richer off of.  

yes there are a few Ts and caps at the sporting shops in the malls, but it's very limited right now.  simple arch of block text with small logo in the center on either white or gray.  i haven't went looking since the logo was first unveiled, but the official Ts were in the $25-30 range at Belk's (dept. stores).  a bit much for such a plain T-shirt.  the corner "knock off" stands are not in full force, yet.

our Hornets were an identity that Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb (Shinn and Woolridge) dragged through the mud and left in New Orleans.  coach Silas was the best coach the franchise ever had and they fired him for the worst ever coach in the NBA.   good luck to the guys we loved but thery're not our team anymore.  i guess once the Bobcats win a few and the new arena is built some fans may check into them, but it will take a while before anyone here jumps head first back into the NBA again.

someone mentioned this week wait till November of next year when we could have a busy weekend with a Sat afternoon Busch 300 race, Bobcats at night, Sunday afternoon Panthers game, then the evening-night Nextel Cup 500 race.  the Panthers work with NFL schedule to prevent NASCAR and NFL conflicting, but it has happened and the city (and 100 mile metro) fills up to capacity.  we'll see...

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Archived