Allan Houston to retire...

Jigga

According to ESPN radio, Knicks guard Allan Houston is hanging 'em up.

Guess it was smart for the Knicks to NOT use the amnesty of Houston. Saw this nugget on the Newsday website:

Because insurance typically covers 75 to 80 percent of a player's contract under such circumstances, the Knicks would recoup roughly $30 million of the $40 million in salary they still owe Houston for the next two seasons if he can't make it through training camp. They'd also be spared another $30 million or more in luxury taxes they're due to pay.
On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Guess it was smart for the Knicks to NOT use the amnesty of Houston. Saw this nugget on the Newsday website:

Because insurance typically covers 75 to 80 percent of a player's contract under such circumstances, the Knicks would recoup roughly $30 million of the $40 million in salary they still owe Houston for the next two seasons if he can't make it through training camp. They'd also be spared another $30 million or more in luxury taxes they're due to pay.

Wise move by Houston to hang em up...his knees are like swiss cheese right now. Poor guy...I liked what he brought to the table when the Pistons drafted him way back when, but I wasn't too sad to see him leave as a FA to the Knicks.

On the bright side, Knicks fans should be very happy....that's a HUGE weight lifted off the cap for them. Slowly but surely Zeke's getting them out of the depths of Salary Cap Hell.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Guess it was smart for the Knicks to NOT use the amnesty of Houston.  Saw this nugget on the Newsday website:

Wise move by Houston to hang em up...his knees are like swiss cheese right now. Poor guy...I liked what he brought to the table when the Pistons drafted him way back when, but I wasn't too sad to see him leave as a FA to the Knicks.

On the bright side, Knicks fans should be very happy....that's a HUGE weight lifted off the cap for them. Slowly but surely Zeke's getting them out of the depths of Salary Cap Hell.

I know you just didn't say Isiah is getting the Knicks OUT of cap hell... :D. They will be in hell for the next 5-7 years even with the insurance picking up the majority of the contract (kinda like the Orioles with Fat Albert, I mean Joey, I mean Albert Bell. At the rate he's spending, Zeke makes George W. Bush look like a fiscal conservative!

This was a gift from God, pure and simple. They seriously thought Houston could "play" this year. If Thomas or Dolan (who is to have heart surgery...get well soon!) say they knew this would happen so that's why they didn't waive him, they're a bald-faced liar.

A joke of a front office and a joke of a franchise...

Signed,

A jaded Knicks fan

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Guess it was smart for the Knicks to NOT use the amnesty of Houston.  Saw this nugget on the Newsday website:

I know you just didn't say Isiah is getting the Knicks OUT of cap hell... :D. They will be in hell for the next 5-7 years even with the insurance picking up the majority of the contract (kinda like the Orioles with Fat Albert, I mean Joey, I mean Albert Bell. At the rate he's spending, Zeke makes George W. Bush look like a fiscal conservative!

This was a gift from God, pure and simple. They seriously thought Houston could "play" this year. If Thomas or Dolan (who is to have heart surgery...get well soon!) say they knew this would happen so that's why they didn't waive him, they're a bald-faced liar.

A joke of a front office and a joke of a franchise...

Signed,

A jaded Knicks fan

I said "slowly but surely", greg :lol:

Granted, the Knickerbockers are still fluffed when it comes to the cap, but it's not as bad as it was under Scotty Layden.

So Dolan's having heart surgery eh....to have a heart problem, one would have to have one to begin with *cue rimshot*.

Sorry, but when it comes to Chucky Cheese Dolan and his twit son Jimbo, I have nothing but contempt...I'm not gonna wish the guy ill while under the knife, so I do send my best wishes on that regard to him. Like MANY fans here in the Tri-State that follow the Knicks & Rangers, I'd just be happier if they sold the Rangers, Knicks & MSG to someone who's more committed to winning than these two sorry schmucks are...never thought they'd make me wish for the days of when Paramount ran the Garden, but they have...

Signed,

A Very Bitter Rangers Fan

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I'm happy to see him go from a franchise standpoint, but let's not bash him. The man gave us incredible memories from 1996 onward.

I know every NY basketball fan remembers the headline in the papers the day LJ was traded to NY and Houston and Childs signed with the Knicks... one word... "JACKPOT!"

The shot against Miami (Zo is still crying), his eruption against Indiana, dropping 50 on the Lakers... the man was a big part of a great era of Knicks basketball in the 90s.

His contract was bloated - but thats not his problem, Layden was competing with himself and gave him that contract, anyone would've accepted it. I got pissed at him and Ward's little anti-semitic rant in the New Yorker, but aside from that, Houston was a great Knick... and I hope he remains with the team in some fashion. Guys like Jamal Crawford and Matt Barnes can learn A LOT from H2O.

Thanks for the memories, Allan!

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

A tremendous loss for the Knickerbockers cause Houston was their best 3 point shooter and one of the best stars out of Tennessee. Even so, I predict that my Knicks will win at least 40-45 games this year.

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

Archived