UHL IS BACK!

Wild Winger

Finally, after months of waiting, the UHL is back. The 'Dogs are gonna put a the hurt on Adirondack. :hockeysmiley:

Here's hopin' you guys do :D...my gawd, Adirondack's not gonna be that good this year...they lost way too much and even Morelli didn't want a part of the action (wait..that might be a good thing)...guess we'll see if 2 ESPN anchors salaries can actually put a competative team out on the ice.

Hoping the Big Show (Brendan Tedstone) makes the trip out there to hurt some purse-swinging ADK types :hockeysmiley:

Meanwhile, my guys (the Trashers) welcome the expansion Port Huron Flags to the U...from what I heard, it sounds like McMorran's gonna be sold out for the first time in ages...seeing I was up there in April for the last Beacons game, it's good to hear.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Finally, after months of waiting, the UHL is back.  The 'Dogs are gonna put a the hurt on Adirondack. :hockeysmiley:

Here's hopin' you guys do :D...my gawd, Adirondack's not gonna be that good this year...they lost way too much and even Morelli didn't want a part of the action (wait..that might be a good thing)...guess we'll see if 2 ESPN anchors salaries can actually put a competative team out on the ice.

Hoping the Big Show (Brendan Tedstone) makes the trip out there to hurt some purse-swinging ADK types :hockeysmiley:

Meanwhile, my guys (the Trashers) welcome the expansion Port Huron Flags to the U...from what I heard, it sounds like McMorran's gonna be sold out for the first time in ages...seeing I was up there in April for the last Beacons game, it's good to hear.

Isn't the Danbury Arena a local ice skating rink?

Finally, after months of waiting, the UHL is back.  The 'Dogs are gonna put a the hurt on Adirondack. :hockeysmiley:

Isn't the Danbury Arena a local ice skating rink?

Yah, basically it is :lol:

Cramped, lacking in creature comforts, and small capacity (3,005 max)...but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Place is hella loud when everyone gets going...a few long time UHLers have remarked it's the loudest arena in the league by far.

Perfect home ice advantage...

BTW, good luck to the Dogs...I got a feeling our games with you guys this year are gonna be wars....better than watching that purse-swinging type of hockey they've seemed to have fallen in love with in ADK.

FANTASY TEAMS

Yeah, good luck to Danbury. I think if the are going to be any two teams at the end of the year in that division to finish 1st and 2nd, it will be the Trashers and the 'Dogs. Though, if the 'Dogs don't make it, I hope Roanoke has a shot. But, since it is their inaugural year and they are practically the Beacons, I wouldn't hope for much if I lived in Roanoke.

Yeah, good luck to Danbury. I think if the are going to be any two teams at the end of the year in that division to finish 1st and 2nd, it will be the Trashers and the 'Dogs. Though, if the 'Dogs don't make it, I hope Roanoke has a shot. But, since it is their inaugural year and they are practically the Beacons, I wouldn't hope for much if I lived in Roanoke.

I think so too...Robbie's put together a pretty fun team (Waltze, Wolf, The Big Show) and Lord knows after last year's disaster, y'all are entitled to have a good team in there for a change....gonna miss seeing Nasato's antics, but I think you guys are gonna do alright.

To be honest, the East is rather weak this year...I wouldn't be shocked if it is Danbury and Richmond brawling it out for the top spot...the only other team I can see maybe making some noise is Elmira (and after last year, they have nowhere to go but up)...Adirondack lost way too much in the off-season and even Morelli didn't want anything to do with them (he was to have been the money man for Levy and Melrose, but he backed out last week :lol: )....

As for Roanoke...they don't look all that good...I mean, who do they have besides Beauregard? They dealt Brand to MC (who in turn shipped him to Port Huron) and it seems like there was a little disarray after Adduono left for Pensacola. Hate to say it, but I think the Vipers are probably destined for the basement.

FANTASY TEAMS

The wonderful Dixon ownership group has already began pissing off the folks of Roanoke and the season dosen't start until 730 tonight. Some fans addressed concerns of the very high ticket prices the Vipers and the Dixons basically told them to fluff off.

Way to go you bailed out on Port Huron when they were still supporting you and now your pissing off your new city. Most of us who loved going to see the Express in the ECHL gives them 3 years here max before they either pack up again or fold. 12.50 just to get in the door, 23.00 for ice level. People in Roanoke aren't going to pay those prices night in and night out when you have Virginia Tech just a half hour away.

With high school football tonight i am guessing attendance will be 3000, tomorrow with college football and game 1 of the WS 1500 to 2000. A far cry from the days when the Express played, Richmond, Norfolk, Raleigh in the mid 90's and averaged about 6500 a game.

If the Dixon's change their pompass ass attitude hockey might make it here again but if they stay the same which from talking to you guys when roanoke moved it dosent seem like that might happen.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

I was way off on the estimate only 2360 for the opener. They interviewed Mrs. Dixon on the news she tried her best to act happy but you could tell she was not pleased with the results last night. Here is the article from the Roanoke Times this morning.

It didn't take long for Brandon Seay to embrace the Roanoke Valley Vipers.

A lifelong hockey fan, 4-year-old Brandon already had a favorite player just 20 minutes into the Vipers' inaugural game.

"No. 5," he said, not even attempting to pronounce defenseman Ricco Fatticci's name. The reason?

"He

fights."

Brandon and the rest of the Roanoke Valley's hockey faithful have had a long wait for the puck to drop at the Roanoke Civic Center.

The wait ended Friday, and 2,360 fans showed up for the team's United Hockey League season opener against the Fort Wayne Komets. The Vipers won 3-2 in a shootout.

"We need more," team owner Kristen Dixon said of the modest turnout. After a long pause she added: "But the enthusiasm is terrific."

The valley has hosted minor league hockey nearly continuously since 1967.

It's most recent franchise, the Roanoke Express lost its East Coast Hockey League charter in August 2004.

Valley hockey fans were doubly cursed. Not only were they without a local franchise banging the boards, but the NHL went on strike, leaving them without an icy security blanket to help them through the winter months.

The UHL announced in the spring that it was moving the failing franchise from Port Huron, Mich., to Roanoke.

The franchise, owned and operated by Ken and Kristen Dixon of Canton, Ohio, has a three-year lease with the Roanoke Civic Center. Kristen Dixon said that the team needs to average about 3,700 fans a game in order to break even financially.

Brandon came with his parents, Pam and Darren Seay, of Covington, and his aunt Ashley Murphy.

Murphy, a 19-year-old student at New River Community College, was wearing an old Roanoke Express jersey but had "Vipers" painted on her cheek.

She and her aunt and uncle said they expect to attend a lot of games this season.

"I love hockey," Murphy said.

The Henry family, of Roanoke, loves hockey too.

"It's fast-paced, and aggressive and graceful," Bob Henry said. "It's beautiful."

Without a team to follow last season, Bob Henry said the family didn't do much at all other than watch a lot of television.

"We don't like other sports," he said. "We went to one Avalanche [baseball] game but ..."

"It wasn't for us," his wife Jennifer said.

The Henrys, who brought their 12-year-old daughter, Danielle, didn't miss a game when the Express was in town.

Their favorite player for the Vipers is defenseman Travis Smith, a holdover from the Express days.

They aren't as sure of their allegiance to the Vipers.

"We'll wait and see what happens," Jennifer Henry said.

The Henrys were sitting behind one of the goals, a far cry from the ice-level seats they used to buy.

"These seats were $33," Jennifer Henry said.

"Thirty-three fifty," her husband corrected. "We used to sit down there for about the same amount."

Looking around the civic center, Jennifer Henry said she'd seen a lot of the same people who'd supported hockey in the past.

"There are some faithful fans, some die-hards," she said. "But we need some new fans."

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

all I can say is GO GENERALS, Yeah I know we may suck this year, and until we get a new owner we'll suck for another few years. But hey i'll stick by the team no matter what.

No kiddin...although y'all did give Danbury a run for their money Saturday, so it's something to hang yer hat on...Leo Thomas is a pretty good player..outside of that, it looks like notta much in Flint this season...shame too b/c you guys deserve a HELL of a lot better than Shuikary as an owner.

Example of how so damn cheap he is: The Generals aren't having ANY games on radio this year...home or away, either over the air or streaming through their site. That means if you wanna catch a Generals game, you gotta go with their OPPONENTS FEED. Adding to this, they kinda forgot to have the fluffing webcast equipment ready...meaning the Quad City (Friday) and Danbury (Saturday) web feeds couldn't go out..also meant no B2 netcast of the game either (meaning anyone spending the $6 for PPV video was plop outta luck). Basically, the only place you could get Saturday's game in was in the greater Danbury area (and seeing 940 and 1510 AM barely clear WestConn, not that much of the Danbury area heard the game)....

Ah well, at least the ice at IMA held up...unlike what happened in Port Huron friday...nothing like a 2 hour delay while our equipment guy shows those idiots at McMorran how to properly maintain ice <_<....

FANTASY TEAMS

If you're @ Danbury's arena, look for my I-95 rock board ads along the rink. My company owns radio stations in UHL, AHL, ECHL, and NHL cities, and I find myself doing a lot of rink boards come hockey season.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

The wonderful Dixon ownership group has already began pissing off the folks of Roanoke and the season dosen't start until 730 tonight. Some fans addressed concerns of the very high ticket prices the Vipers and the Dixons basically told them to fluff off.

Way to go you bailed out on Port Huron when they were still supporting you and now your pissing off your new city. Most of us who loved going to see the Express in the ECHL gives them 3 years here max before they either pack up again or fold. 12.50 just to get in the door, 23.00 for ice level. People in Roanoke aren't going to pay those prices night in and night out when you have Virginia Tech just a half hour away.

With high school football tonight i am guessing attendance will be 3000, tomorrow with college football and game 1 of the WS 1500 to 2000. A far cry from the days when the Express played, Richmond, Norfolk, Raleigh in the mid 90's and averaged about 6500 a game.

If the Dixon's change their pompass ass attitude hockey might make it here again but if they stay the same which from talking to you guys when roanoke moved it dosent seem like that might happen.

$23.00 for ice level!!!!! :blink::shocked: Are u kidding me. It's only $16 for Richmond. :cursing:

RiverDogs Hockey....SAD TO THE BONE!!! :shocked::cursing::evil::mad:

After this weekend's excuse for hockey, I am pissed off. This team has no offense that can take the puck into the zone and pass. Too many penalties are occuring and I am not happy. Nichols is said to have been looking for some people tha can improve our team. But, for now we're 0-3-0 and I can't believe this. They better have a winning product for Friday and Saturday. Because, if we can't beat the Vipers, I don't know what will happen this season. Danbury on Saturday will be tough enough for us. We need to improve after that slop Richmond was introduced to last week. I am very annoyed and want to see improvement. Richmond does not deserve this, if I wanted to see that kind of hockey, I could have watched games from last season.

Way to go you bailed out on Port Huron when they were still supporting you and now your pissing off your new city. Most of us who loved going to see the Express in the ECHL gives them 3 years here max before they either pack up again or fold.  12.50 just to get in the door, 23.00 for ice level. People in Roanoke aren't going to pay those prices night in and night out when you have Virginia Tech just a half hour away.

$23.00 for ice level!!!!! :blink::shocked: Are u kidding me. It's only $16 for Richmond. :cursing:

Oh yeah 22.50 plus a arena markup charge it is insane. The attendance for the two home games so far has been 2360 and a exaggerated 2500 for game 2. A co-worker of mine said it was 900 maximum for last Saturday's game. She said it was so quiet at some points you could hear the players and coaches yelling out on the ice.

Again the Dixon family the short time they have been here has proven they don't give a rip about this area just the potential to make $$$$$ which hasn't worked that well so far and you can see the frustation on Mrs. Dixon each time they interview her on the news.

I don't care what the media says the Vipers name was still not a popular choice for the team. I mentioned before at the end of last season when I was at the name unveiling the UHL commish and the Dixon's were booed by the Roanoke fans when the name Vipers was announced.

I think this is going to be a Hornets type situation in the end. The city loves the team and hockey back but cannot stand the owership group.

November 5th against the RiverDogs is going to be a very important night early in the Vipers history if they will survive or not. Virginia Tech plays Miami in Blacksburg at 7:45 or roughly 5 to 10 min after the Vipers game starts. I might be totally wrong with my estimate but I say 1500 people at the most will be there against Richmond. Salem Avalanche baseball, High School and College Football and Basketball are top dog here. We are glad to have hockey back don't get me wrong but not 22.50 ice level glad.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Way to go you bailed out on Port Huron when they were still supporting you and now your pissing off your new city. Most of us who loved going to see the Express in the ECHL gives them 3 years here max before they either pack up again or fold.  12.50 just to get in the door, 23.00 for ice level. People in Roanoke aren't going to pay those prices night in and night out when you have Virginia Tech just a half hour away.

Oh yeah 22.50 plus a arena markup charge it is insane. The attendance for the two home games so far has been 2360 and a exaggerated 2500 for game 2. A co-worker of mine said it was 900 maximum for last Saturday's game. She said it was so quiet at some points you could hear the players and coaches yelling out on the ice.

Again the Dixon family the short time they have been here has proven they don't give a rip about this area just the potential to make $$$$$ which hasn't worked that well so far and you can see the frustation on Mrs. Dixon each time they interview her on the news.

I don't care what the media says the Vipers name was still not a popular choice for the team. I mentioned before at the end of last season when I was at the name unveiling the UHL commish and the Dixon's were booed by the Roanoke fans when the name Vipers was announced.

I think this is going to be a Hornets type situation in the end. The city loves the team and hockey back but cannot stand the owership group.

November 5th against the RiverDogs is going to be a very important night early in the Vipers history if they will survive or not. Virginia Tech plays Miami in Blacksburg at 7:45 or roughly 5 to 10 min after the Vipers game starts. I might be totally wrong with my estimate but I say 1500 people at the most will be there against Richmond. Salem Avalanche baseball, High School and College Football and Basketball are top dog here. We are glad to have hockey back don't get me wrong but not 22.50 ice level glad.

22.50? Are they insane or just...no wait, it's the Dixons.

More proof that those two clowns didn't learn squat from their experiences in Port Huron.

Have to agree...Most folks from Roanoke I've talked to on the UHL boards are happy as anything to be back in the game...but how long is that gonna last as long as the Dixons charge outrageous prices?

I hope it works out...not just for Roanoke's sake, but for Richmond's sake (never hurts to have a rival closeby...which is why I was happy to hear that the Parfets (who run the Kalamazoo Wings) are buying into the Frostbite..as much as I hate those dogfluffers in Glens Falls, they're the closest team to us here)...and the league's as well...

========================================================

BAD BOYS TALKIN' TRASH...GO TRASHERS!!

Music to my ears! :hockeysmiley:

Wow..something an Isles and Rangers fan can agree on...well besides the fact the Devils suck :lol:

Have ya made it to the DIA for a game yet?

FANTASY TEAMS

22.50? Are they insane or just...no wait, it's the Dixons.

More proof that those two clowns didn't learn squat from their experiences in Port Huron.

Have to agree...Most folks from Roanoke I've talked to on the UHL boards are happy as anything to be back in the game...but how long is that gonna last as long as the Dixons charge outrageous prices?

I hope it works out...not just for Roanoke's sake, but for Richmond's sake (never hurts to have a rival closeby...which is why I was happy to hear that the Parfets (who run the Kalamazoo Wings) are buying into the Frostbite..as much as I hate those dogfluffers in Glens Falls, they're the closest team to us here)...and the league's as well...

I told the hockey fans I work with and live near all the stories you guys told me about how the Dixon's were and not get too attached to the Vipers because they will be gone within 2 to 3 years.

The main example I give is if Port Huron was such a bad spot for hockey the UHL would not have immdediately put another franchise there after the Hurons left for Virginia.

I know it isn't on the same level but I am beginning to think of the Dixon's as a minor league Art Modell. If you charge kings ransom for a minor league sport which is supposed to be affoardable for everyone your darn right your not going to have fan support. What I find interesting is only Mrs. Dixon has been doing interviews for the newspaper and on TV not sure if that was the norm in Port Huron but it is odd here.

What will happen is and I hope I am wrong is that the attendence will be in the tank for 2 years, the Dixon family will either whine and say we have no support and request a move again or sell the team to a local investor. Yes we have a ton of northerners living here who enjoy hockey but even a Yank isn't going to pay 22.50 for a minor league hockey team. I hope this thread stays open all year because I will give updates as the season wears on.

Like I said before Nov 5 is the early D day for the franchise, I will be at the Tech/Miami game so I will have to give the attendance report afterwards.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Archived