Toronto to MLS

Brian in Boston

So why is it that when expansion comes up San Diego is never even considered, yet people are looking at Raleigh? I can see a whole other league's worth of possible cities to expand to:

Akron, Cleveland and/or Cincinnati

Seattle and/or Tacoma

Milwaukee

Rochester or Syracuse

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Montreal

San Diego

Sacramento

Portland

Houston

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Puerto Rico

Vancouver

Atlanta

and relegation/promotion is already at work in the USL (Sort of minor leagues for the MLS with 1st Division being like the Coca-Cola Championship League is in England). For instance last year the San Diego Gauchos were relegated from 2nd Division to the PDL. If we expanded that to the MLS, it might become more interesting. We'd even have multiple teams in areas of New York, Boston, Chicago and Southern California just like England has darn near 50 teams in London (or so it seems at times).

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So why is it that when expansion comes up San Diego is never even considered, yet people are looking at Raleigh? I can see a whole other league's worth of possible cities to expand to:

Seattle and/or Tacoma

Milwaukee

Rochester or Syracuse

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Montreal

San Diego

Sacramento

Portland

Houston

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Puerto Rico

Vancouver

Atlanta

and relegation/promotion is already at work in the USL (Sort of minor leagues for the MLS with 1st Division being like the Coca-Cola Championship League is in England). For instance last year the San Diego Gauchos were relegated from 2nd Division to the PDL. If we expanded that to the MLS, it might become more interesting. We'd even have multiple teams in areas of New York, Boston, Chicago and Southern California just like England has darn near 50 teams in London (or so it seems at times).

You think I could do a poll with these cities to find out who'll be MLS team #14?

YOZXkBG.png?1

Seattle and/or Tacoma

Milwaukee

Rochester or Syracuse

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Montreal

San Diego

Sacramento

Portland

Houston

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Puerto Rico

Vancouver

Atlanta

You think I could do a poll with these cities to find out who'll be MLS team #14?

No.

So why is it that when expansion comes up San Diego is never even considered, yet people are looking at Raleigh?

Best guess - SoCal already has 2 teams. There are no teams in MLS south of DC and east of Dallas. It's a quarter of the country that has no team. Granted it is college football/basketball country, but I could see them putting a team there instead of a 3rd in Southern California.

oh!

Seriously... why even bother posting that? Do you consider that a meaningful contribution to the discourse? :mad:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

So why is it that when expansion comes up San Diego is never even considered, yet people are looking at Raleigh?

Best guess - SoCal already has 2 teams. There are no teams in MLS south of DC and east of Dallas. It's a quarter of the country that has no team. Granted it is college football/basketball country, but I could see them putting a team there instead of a 3rd in Southern California.

oh!

Seriously... why even bother posting that? Do you consider that a meaningful contribution to the discourse? :mad:

I have 2 things to say:

1. CD Chivas USA should move to San Diego.

2. Yes, I consider that a meaningful contribution to the discourse!

YOZXkBG.png?1

oh!

I have 2 things to say:

First, the Hockey Hall of Fame has been out of the Ex for years now, and it's always been in Toronto.

Second, Oh! isn't a signifcant contribution, neither is posting *blank* 4 life! three times in a row in seperate threads.give yourself a minute or two to think about something in each post, fewer people will get beefed up about it

... and relegation/promotion is already at work in the USL (Sort of minor leagues for the MLS with 1st Division being like the Coca-Cola Championship League is in England).

While the United Soccer Leagues' First Division (formerly known as the A-League) once enjoyed an informal player-development relationship with Major League Soccer, the leagues comprising the USL are not an official minor-league for MLS. In fact, each MLS franchise now operates a Reserve Team on which it places top-flight developmental players and reserves

For instance last year the San Diego Gauchos were relegated from 2nd Division to the PDL.
In actuality, movement from one level of USL soccer to another is - for the most part - voluntary. While USL administrators could bar a team from operating at a certain level of their structure as a result of the team not meeting various criteria of participation at said level, by and large teams make such moves based upon their own decision.

Further, the aforementioned criteria revolve around business aspects of a team's operation (budget, etc.), as opposed to being linked purely to on-field results. Regardless of whether such a move is suggested by the USL heirarchy or completely voluntary, given that it is not based solely upon on-field results... well, it isn't truly "relegation".

In point of fact, the San Diego Gauchos made a choice to operate at USL's PDL level because it was the best fit given the current business prospects surrounding the team. The Gauchos were not forcibly relegated because of their on-field success or lack thereof.

Bottom line? Promotion/relegation is nopt coming to Major League Soccer any time soon... if at all. It is a practice which will not appeal to American professional sports owners with an eye on th"bottom-line".

oh!

I have 2 things to say:

First, the Hockey Hall of Fame has been out of the Ex for years now, and it's always been in Toronto.

Second, Oh! isn't a signifcant contribution, neither is posting *blank* 4 life! three times in a row in seperate threads.give yourself a minute or two to think about something in each post, fewer people will get beefed up about it

OK.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived