Names on Backs

dirwuf

The accepted story is that it started with the 1960 White Sox and I've never heard anybody dispute it. What I'm curious about is the AFL instituting names on the unis the following fall...were they inspired by the Sox, or is there evidence that it came about from somewhere else. Was there ANY use of uniform names before the 1960 White Sox; college...high school...anywhere?

i think - believe it or not - one of the new york americans nhl teams experimented with names in the 1920's!!

other than that, i'm not aware of anything. and remember the 1960 white sox did them on the road jerseys ONLY. the homes didn't get them until 1961.

the afl is the first LEAGUE to mandated nob's.

the nfl mandated nob's in 1970.

the nba mandated nob's in 1971-72

the nhl mandated it in 1977-78, but toronto's harold ballard wouldn't conform until way late in the season and only on the blue jerseys, finally joining in with the rest of the boys in 78-79.

tb

the nhl mandated it in 1977-78, but toronto's harold ballard wouldn't conform until way late in the season and only on the blue jerseys, finally joining in with the rest of the boys in 78-79.

Actually, Harold Ballard put names on jerseys at the same time as the other teams did. However, he felt that he didn't want to lose money by selling programs/roster sheets so he rebelled by putting white lettering on white jerseys and blue lettering on blue jerseys. After being threatend with huge fines, he finally capitulated and put white letters on blue jerseys and blue letters on white jerseys.

Actually, Harold Ballard put names on jerseys at the same time as the other teams did. However, he felt that he didn't want to lose money by selling programs/roster sheets so he rebelled by putting white lettering on white jerseys and blue lettering on blue jerseys. After being threatend with huge fines, he finally capitulated and put white letters on blue jerseys and blue letters on white jerseys.

Wow I'd love to see pictures of that.

fade.gif

Archived