Howry to Cubs

Brass

The money isn't right, but I like the moves the Cubs have made. The Tribune company has plenty of money and (perhaps a cubs fan could let me know this) Hendry isn't handcuffed with real hard payroll figure.

The biggest problem over the last couple years for the Cubs has been:

Bullpen (Hendry's fault)

Starting Pitching injuries (Dusty's fault)

And poor use of a decent staff (again...Dusty)

I hate to admit it, but baring major injuries, the Cubs are looking much improved if they figure out their outfield.

The money isn't right, but I like the moves the Cubs have made. The Tribune company has plenty of money and (perhaps a cubs fan could let me know this) Hendry isn't handcuffed with real hard payroll figure.

The biggest problem over the last couple years for the Cubs has been:

Bullpen (Hendry's fault)

Starting Pitching injuries (Dusty's fault)

And poor use of a decent staff (again...Dusty)

I hate to admit it, but baring major injuries, the Cubs are looking much improved if they figure out their outfield.

Just doing some quick math, based on '05 salaries from Baseball-Reference.com, the Cubs have about $65 million comming back, in guys like Wood, Maddux, Ramirez, Lee, Zambrano, Prior, Barrett, Patterson, Walker, Dempster, Rusch, Hairston, Blanco, etc. Figuring a $100 million payroll (they were around $95 mil last year, not including the $8 mil of Sosa's contract they were paying for Baltimore), $7 mil for two releavers is a drop in the bucket.

Plus, remember that the Cubs are increasing revenue with 1) the advertising behind home plate (the Cubs said that they were generating about $3 mil a year with that, and that it would go back to on-filed signings - there's one set-up guy), and; 2) the bleacher expansion project will increase ticket revenue nearly $5 million this season alone. And that figure doesn't include concessions or the increase in revenue from a new "lounge" that is being built in the batters eye.

Just my 2 cents... Personally, I agree. It's about time the Cubs sign some guys who know how to pitch for the pen!

Moose

I still hope he gets Kevin Milwood, or another starter. We gotta bag Furcal, and hopefully these signings will help lure him to town. If they get Pierre and make a deal for Kevin Mench....we might have something special.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived