Herman Edwards to KC?

Chief.

why edwards? he hasnt exactly delivered a title to NYC. if I was KC, why would i want to compromise my draft, losing these pick(s,) when I have an older team to start with, that will need the young picks?

makes no sense.

Well, Edwards has ties to the organization and President Carl Peterson, probably why Carl is going for Edwards. But I don't want too many draft picks given up either.

When you talk about our veterans, I'm most concerned about Trent Green. Carl Peterson will NEVER give a rookie QB a chance, never has, never will. He'll look to Free Agency to solve that problem.

Now, if not Edwards, than who can take over as head coach?

I think the Jets wil want draft picks

I know there will be picks involved. But adding Holmes will give the franchise an instant boost, if for only one season.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Rumour is Chiefs want to give a 5th and 6th for Herm. Jets want a 4th and 5th.

Nothing solid yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Gunther stays and they try to bring in Norv Turner for the Offense. Al Saunders will end up with Detroit or Minnesota.

A 4th and 5th, in separate years (say the 4th in '06 and the 5th in '07) would be kinda cheap for Herm.

nav-logo.png

Chiefs to deal fourth-rounder for Jets' Edwards

Jay Glazer, FOXSports.com

FOXSports.com has learned that the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets have agreed on compensation for Herm Edwards with the Chiefs surrendering a fourth-round pick in this year's draft. As a result, the Chiefs and Edwards' agents are right now hammering out a contract to make Edwards Kansas City's new head coach. Working out a contract appears to be the final hurdle in closing the book on this drama.

The entire fiasco became quite puzzling over the last week or so with Peterson playing his cards very smart in this deal. On Thursday, Edwards told his staff that he would not be returning to the Jets regardless of whether or not he got a deal worked out with the Chiefs. As a result of that, Peterson has known he wouldn't have to give up the farm to get a deal done. Because of how public Edwards' desire to leave had become, Jets GM Terry Bradway was actually lucky to get a fourth-rounder as compensation.

The Peterson-Edwards relationship is a deep one with Peterson having recruited Edwards out of high school, trying to get him to declare to UCLA. It was also Peterson who signed Edwards as an undrafted college free agent with the Eagles in 1977, one year before the Miracle of the Meadowlands when Edwards returned Giants QB Joe Pisarcik's fumble for a game-winning touchdown.

Their relationship continued in Kansas City when Peterson hired Edwards in 1989 as a Minority Fellowship coach and then Peterson hired Marvin Lewis in the same capacity in 1991. Both have since turned into successful head coaches in the league. Edwards was also mentored to coach by Tony Dungy, who the Chiefs DB coach his first three years in Kansas City. Edwards then took over as the Chiefs secondary coach from 1992-1994.

Edwards took the Jets to the playoffs in three of his first four years, but his family life never truly meshed with New York. Rumors that Edwards would end up with the Chiefs began swirling as early as training camp.

why edwards? he hasnt exactly delivered a title to NYC. if I was KC, why would i want to compromise my draft, losing these pick(s,) when I have an older team to start with, that will need the young picks?

makes no sense.

why NOT? he hasnt exactly had a whole lot to work with. he had a couple good teams when pennington was healthy, but look what they had this year. brooks bollinger isnt exactly going to earn you a playoff birth, much less a division title (or so much as .500). i think herm edwards is a great fit, and according to our local talk radio in st. louis, herm edwards has officially filled this vacancy.

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

Yeah, Edwards has cleaned out his office in New York and he's out. I don't wanna see him go cause he is a great leader and did lead the Jets to some impressive seasons when the team was healthy.

As for a replacment in New York, right now I'm hearing Mike Martz or Jim Haslett as possible candidates for the job.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived