Giants Endzone

wOOgiE

The only thing I missed about astroturf was the colorfulness of it, like the Rams, Falcons, Saints, Bills, Lions looked stale and bland now.

the fieldturf in the edward jones dome just looked like crap from the beginning this year, i really hope they work to improve that for next season. it was embarassing up against some of the other fieldturf fields in the league.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I think when Giants Stadium had the old astroturf, they had seperate end zones for the Giants and Jets when you could roll one up and put the other one down.

Don't know if the interwoven nature of a fieldturf field allows for such a puzzle-piece approach.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I think when Giants Stadium had the old astroturf, they had seperate end zones for the Giants and Jets when you could roll one up and put the other one down.

Don't know if the interwoven nature of a fieldturf field allows for such a puzzle-piece approach.

Answers to your questions...

1. Yes, the Giants and Jets End Zones zipped in and out so you could change them in a matter of a few hours. The zippers were "hidden" in the goal lines and in the end zones themselves.

2. Field turf doesn't allow for the "zippering" or seaming of the turf. It's touted as one of the benefits.

And for those who asked about the "coloring" of the end zones for the Super Bowl, I talked to a friend at the NFL and she said that they will always have colored end zones for the Super Bowl. The actual color choices are done after the teams are known, obviously and she doesn't know how/why the color choices are made for the teams - i.e. does the primary color become the base, or the secondary color become the base (one of the odd ones was the Giants/Denver Super Bowl, I believe the Giants end zone was red with blue lettering)

There was an article in USA Today a couple of weeks ago about the painting and stripping and repainting of the Georgia Dome Field Turf for the various bowl games and Falcon games that was quite interesting.

I don't mean to entirely hijack the thread, but I have to hand it to the Georgia Dome folks...Last Sunday, the Falcons got destroyed by the Panthers and the field was decked out in Falcons logos...the following day, they had the Sugar Bowl, and it was very hard to notice any sign of a Falcons game from the day before. The logos and endzones were done very well.

I'd assume they would color in the endzones for the Super Bowl in Detroit.

And finally, it would have been sweet if the Giants' endzones were blue with red letters like in the old astroturf days. At least I think the letters were red...?

This is a really cool video of how they made the conversion from the Peach Bowl to the Falcons to the Sugar Bowl:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/d...U%5EUWU%5EUcUZU]UbUcTYWVVZV&urcm=y

Hey- long time lurker.

The Super Bowl end zones were painted from SBV up until Super Bowl XXXII with the team's non-helmet primary color. For example- the Redskins' helmet is burgundy- their end zone has always been gold. The Bears in SB XX had orange end zones, even though most would consider their primary color blue. The Chargers in XXIX had gold end zones... etc. This was, I always believed, to accomodate the helmets in the end zones.

However, in SB I and II, Green Bay did actually have yellow/ gold end zones, and in SB IV, the Vikings had purple end zones- but after IV, and up until the Broncos had their end zone painted blue in XXXII, this trend held.

Now it seems that there is little rhyme or reason- anyone know how they choose the color of the end zones now?

Archived