Mid-Atlantic minor league

cappital92

How about giving us some detail there, Cap boy?

Agreed. What are you asking us to do in response?

BTW, as someone who works in Towson, I think I speak for the whole community in saying we're flattered to be in your top six. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

As the Towson representative (?), I'll try to give that a go. Right off the bat, Generals (Towson HS) and Tigers (Towson Univ.) are taken.

Highlanders -- The center of town is at the top of a hill.

Hilltoppers -- See Highlanders.

Ironmen -- Ridgely family (owners of Hampton Mansion -- now a national historic site, once the largest house in the US) owned ironworks that supplied US troops during revolutionary war. Other ironworks were also found throughout the area.

Stags -- From Ridgely family crest (caveat -- it should be noted that the members of the Ridgely family were prominent slaveholders, so perhaps honoring them isn't such a great idea).

Thoroughbreds -- Racing and breeding industry in the immediately surrounding area.

Lancers -- Joisting is the state sport of Maryland.

That covers most of the area-specific I can think of. If I think of any generic ones that sound decent, I'll post again.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Some other Towson ideas may come out of honoring Johnny Unitas, since the team would presumably play at Johnny Unitas Stadium at Towson Univ. The only two I could think of were the Golden Arms and the 19s, but they both sound pretty awkward.

In the interest of single-handedly keeping this thread alive, here are some Harrisburg ideas (with the thought of staying somewhat location-specific instead of generic). I'm not too pumped up about any of them, but here they are:

Capitals

Patriots (Main newspaper in town is the Patriot-News. I don't know if that is a plus or a minus.)

Rivermen

Islanders (Presumably, the team would play on City Island. However, there is/was a minor league soccer team called the City Islanders.)

That is all I can think of for now. I know there are better options, but it is late on a Friday afternoon.

Archived