pin design

JBPerry

Here's a copy of a pin design that I'll be entering at a district competition in Waco. I'm still working on the boundaries of the colleges. The final design will be presented here, as well.

Well, here it is!

pindesigncopy2.png

C & C Appreciated greatly!

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

What exactly is Texas Skills?

I get the college references, but I'd suggest a subtler blending of the three colors.

And since the competition is in Waco, no Baylor colors? TCU? SMU? UTEP? North Texas? Are UT, A&M and TT that much bigger than the other Texas schools that the rest are omitted from your design?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I get the college references, but I'd suggest a subtler blending of the three colors.

And since the competition is in Waco, no Baylor colors? TCU? SMU? UTEP? North Texas? Are UT, A&M and TT that much bigger than the other Texas schools that the rest are omitted from your design?

I don't know how to really explain it, but here is the Skills USA website, Skills USA & Here's the Texas SKills USA website, Texas Skills USA I chose UT, TT & A&M because those are the 3 main colleges of Texas, I think. How do you suggest blending the colors?

now when you say pin design, do you mean lapel pin?

yes, If this pin wins at district, and then wins at state, then this is the pin that all Texas represenatives will wear at Nationals!

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

My Webpage

And since the competition is in Waco, no Baylor colors?  TCU?  SMU?  UTEP?  North Texas?  Are UT, A&M and TT that much bigger than the other Texas schools that the rest are omitted from your design?

I don't know how to really explain it, but here is the Skills USA website, Skills USA & Here's the Texas SKills USA website, Texas Skills USA I chose UT, TT & A&M because those are the 3 main colleges of Texas, I think. How do you suggest blending the colors?

Ah, got it. I think we had something along those lines in high school, but I wasn't involved. (But I still got skills... and skillz. B) )

That said, I am not sure how to better blend the colors as you've presently constructed the design. Maybe it's the contours of the Texas map, but the colors seem disproportionate - A&M is getting screwed over by UT and TTU. As a non-Texan, I always think Horns first, Aggies 2nd, Raiders 3rd when I think of Texas college sports. But here I see a lot of red. Maybe it's different in Texas; I defer to Texans if that's true.

Over what city is the black star placed? Does it have to be where it is? If it were moved more toward the middle of the state, you could break up the colors a little more equitably. I'm not sure of my Texas geography, but I am guessing the star is supposed to be representing Waco, in which case, scratch this paragraph.

There's another way to go I thought of. You could continue the Lone Star theme, too. On a neutral (white) background, you could put the SkillsUSA logo toward the coast and make a larger star (still over Waco, if that's Waco). White middle, outlined in burnt orange, outlined in maroon, outlined in red. If you felt so inclined, you could add dark green/gold (Baylor), purple (TCU). Unless that made it look too much like a rainbow, in which case the first 3 schools would be enough.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

And since the competition is in Waco, no Baylor colors?  TCU?  SMU?  UTEP?  North Texas?  Are UT, A&M and TT that much bigger than the other Texas schools that the rest are omitted from your design?

Ah, got it. I think we had something along those lines in high school, but I wasn't involved. (But I still got skills... and skillz. B) )

That said, I am not sure how to better blend the colors as you've presently constructed the design. Maybe it's the contours of the Texas map, but the colors seem disproportionate - A&M is getting screwed over by UT and TTU. As a non-Texan, I always think Horns first, Aggies 2nd, Raiders 3rd when I think of Texas college sports. But here I see a lot of red. Maybe it's different in Texas; I defer to Texans if that's true.

Over what city is the black star placed? Does it have to be where it is? If it were moved more toward the middle of the state, you could break up the colors a little more equitably. I'm not sure of my Texas geography, but I am guessing the star is supposed to be representing Waco, in which case, scratch this paragraph.

There's another way to go I thought of. You could continue the Lone Star theme, too. On a neutral (white) background, you could put the SkillsUSA logo toward the coast and make a larger star (still over Waco, if that's Waco). White middle, outlined in burnt orange, outlined in maroon, outlined in red. If you felt so inclined, you could add dark green/gold (Baylor), purple (TCU). Unless that made it look too much like a rainbow, in which case the first 3 schools would be enough.

no , the star is not placed over waco. Waco is located a little more over to the right. Right no, the star is placed in (non-accurately) over the center of Texas. Here's a map with most of Texas' major cities.

map.GIF

That being said, I'm now thinking about making the star in Baylor colors and positioning it on Waco. Thanks for the advice, VitaminD. It's coming in handy. In fact if I do win at district, you will be one of the first people I thank for advice.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

My Webpage

I would try a maroon bar on the left with a star in it, then red and orange horizontal stripes on the right, kinda like the Texas State Flag layout.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I would try a maroon bar on the left with a star in it, then red and orange horizontal stripes on the right, kinda like the Texas State Flag layout.

That's a great idea too, especially if you limit it to the 3 colleges you started with. Texas flag inside the contours of the state, in three dominant school colors... me likey that too. Nice thought, temp.

I browsed around the linked site you had, and it looked like this is a high school competition. Is there any affiliation to the colleges you were using for colors? I didn't see any connection to those schools - though I saw my native county's Vo-Tech HS linked to the TexSkills site... thing is, it's in southern New Jersey. Go figure!

Glad to help, for whatever help I provided. It's a nice idea, and I could see your final product being wearable as a pin. Good luck with it!

2007nleastchamps.png

That's a great idea too, especially if you limit it to the 3 colleges you started with. Texas flag inside the contours of the state, in three dominant school colors... me likey that too. Nice thought, temp.

I browsed around the linked site you had, and it looked like this is a high school competition. Is there any affiliation to the colleges you were using for colors? I didn't see any connection to those schools - though I saw my native county's Vo-Tech HS linked to the TexSkills site... thing is, it's in southern New Jersey. Go figure!

Glad to help, for whatever help I provided. It's a nice idea, and I could see your final product being wearable as a pin. Good luck with it!

And now............. the moment you've all been waiting for.................... The partly, not-completed, almost done, Texas pin design!

I took your advice Temp, and here's part of the result. I could have placed the dividing stripe wrong, I don't know. but more C&C appreciated with the new design. B)

pindesign2modifiedcopy.png

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

My Webpage

I'm not completely sold on using A&M, UT, and Tech colors, but if you're dead set on using those, for heaven's sake put them in the right place man! i tri color of red, orange, maroon in that order from left to right would closely put the right associations of school color to school location in the state. right now it just looks like you just randomly threw three different shades of red together at random. On second thought, just ditch the color scheme, period.

since i am the creative director for a lapel pin company... you probably want to talk to me :)

txpin.jpg

dude, you are awesome!! :D:D I've got to show that to my cluster teacher! Thanks for showing what it'd look like!! :P:P

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

My Webpage

since i am the creative director for a lapel pin company... you probably want to talk to me :)

txpin.jpg

:jawdrop:

Whoa, that's sharp. Great blend of JB's vision with roxstar's professional know-how and technique. If that won't win, nothing will. Bravo to you both.

2007nleastchamps.png

okay, here is the final pin design that will be submitted to Waco. Roxstar, the reason that I didn't submit yours is because it's easy to tell it didn't come from Photoshop, and whenever I tried to paste the white logo, I couldn't get it to come out. bigtex, i used your idea on where to place each color. I hope this pin goes to State or I will be pissed! Vitamin D, bigtex, and roxstarmedia, thank you, thank you for all the C&C you have provided. I really appreicate it! :D:D Here it is!!

pindesign2finalcopy.png

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

My Webpage

Likin' it. Good luck in your contest...

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived