pro nfl refs

buildingmaint

It seems like the media is driving this effort to get pro refs in the N.F.L. I don't know what the difference full time refs will be. What will the N.F.L have them do during the week with no games to ref . I don't think the current refs will give up thier weekday jobs without a big pay raise. Some of these guys are lawyers ,teachers ect .

Yeah most of them are wealthy professionals aht have enough free tiem to be NFL refs on weekends. I cant see what a pro ref weould do perhaps practice during the week warm up watch video lots of free time.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's just an idea but they could ref team practices etc. to keep them sharp during the week. They could spend the rest of the time familiarizing themselves with that set of encyclopedias better known as the NFL rulebook. I think it would help both the officials and the teams. I know some teams use officials for practice already but they gotta be local high school guys since the NFL refs are all working during the week. Maybe if they pursue fulltimers then they might be able to get younger more athletic people for the job. How silly is it to expect a 55 year old guy to keep up with any NFL player let alone someone like a wide receiver? Fulltimers would be able to stay in game shape and work on being nothing but an NFL official.

The fact is that the NFL is the biggest sport in America. Yet of the 4 major sports leagues they are the only one who does not employ fulltime officials...And it really shows.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I'm with infrared 100% on this one. They should be practicing/learning the rules during the week. Players constantly have to read and re-read their playbooks right? The refs could study the NFL rules and regs...it sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

The reason the refs need to "practice" is the same reason Allen Iverson needs practice...there are things that you have to institute in practice. You must drill them, over and over and over again. You can learn how to properly position yourself on goal line and short yardage plays, you can learn how to properly determine clear possession of the football versus dropping the ball before making a football move. You can get to know the other referees tendencies, strengths, and deficiencies. In a way, they are a team, so they should practice like it...

The NFL makes substantially more money than the rest of the pro leagues in the US, so they should pony up the coin to better prepare their officials and, in doing that, give all parties a better game!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm with infrared 100% on this one. They should be practicing/learning the rules during the week. Players constantly have to read and re-read their playbooks right? The refs could study the NFL rules and regs...it sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

Have the refs really shown an ignornance of the rules? The problem is in calling, which wouldn't be impacted by studying during the week.

I want full-time refs too, but that argument's not very persuasive.

Archived