The birth of a Yankees alternate logo

TurnTwo

Today in school I was doodling on the back of one of my worksheets. I came up with an idea for a Yankees alternate logo. In this topic I will go step by step showing how I create an original logo from back of worksheet to final product. I would love to get as much C&C throughout the process as possible. I'm a sophomore in High School and am looking into the graphic design business and this place is great to learn from real designers with real experiences in the graphic design industry.

Anyway, here's my rough sketch. It's not very clear because I'm on the computer without the scanner so I just snapped a picture with my phone.

roughsketch.png

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

maybe it would be best to do the whole project and then post all the steps at once

but if u want comments on this picture... the batting stance looks awkward and unrealistic and the way he's batting covers up the NY which i think should absolutly be showing. a lefty batter might be a better angle.

intersting idea with the hat-- looking forward to the rest of it

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

This concept actually came about as a school project. We were assigned to make a propaganda poster for World War I. The theme my partner and I came up with was:

"America's New Pastime...."

Picture of Uncle Sam swinging bat labeled "Liberty Bonds" hitting a ball labeled "The Hun".

"Beating back the Hun....with Liberty Bonds."

After drawing a preliminary sketch of Uncle Sam I thought it might make a good Yankees logo.

I'm now considering completely eliminating the Yankees uniform off of Uncle Sam, kind of creates a logo-within-a-logo. Maybe just patriotic apparel. But, I don't want him to look too "Nationalsy". What do you guys think?

*For those of you not familiar with World War I history, "The Hun" was a nickname commonly used by Americans for the Germans.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

• 1 month later...

While using Uncle Sam may be appropriate (at least for a concept) I think some work needs to be done with the proportion of the body before further Illustrator work is done. The legs are much too short, the thighs are huge, and if you decide to continue with marking certain muscles in the legs and arms, make sure they at least approximate actual muscle placement. I always thought of Uncle Sam as long and lanky too. It's a good idea, but some working out of the proportions and flow of the logo before Illustrator tracing is necessary. Having a clean copy with crisp edges doesn't cover up all design shortcomings.

Yeah. I'm going to be honest because that's the only way you'll gain anything from it. Set this down and don't look at it again until you take a figure drawing class or study some figure drawing books. Look at pictures of batters and of people in general. Your man has no form, he has a lobster claw, and he is very ill-proportioned. Drawing is the absolute most important skill to have in the graphic design business, at least for logo work. Do what you have to in order to become fundamentally good at drawing, whether that's taking classes or studying books or observing people or practicing every day. Do it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived