Help out a beginner

Squeaks4

Hey guys, I am sure most of you have seen me around in the lounge and sports sections, but I have never really been involved in any of the actual logo and uniform development part of this site other then giving a few C & C here and there. However, I am intrested in messing around with some of this stuff and I just need a little help getting started. I have Photoshop CS2 but I know virtually nothing regarding how to use it. And looking around in the help files and just playing around with it, it doesnt seem like the tool I need to create new uniform designs or logos. If anyone here can help me out and suggest what I should use to start off with, and just give me some overall advice, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

PopHeading-1.gif

Hate to say it, Squeaks, but yeah, Photoshop is not the best tool for actually creating logos. If you have Illustrator, that's probably what you want to be using.

If you can get your hands on Illustrator, I would highly recommend pcgd's tutorial for starting out: http://www.patrickcummings.net/tutorial . Once you get the basics of that down, it's pretty easy to start doing stuff freehand and playing around with some of the options that are available.

Hope that helps. ^_^

Thanks man!...I was beginning to think no one was going to come to my rescue. I actually just got a trial version of Illustrator and have been playing around with it a lot. It definently seems to be the thing I was looking for. One problem, that link doesn't work and I looked at the main website and came up empty handed.

PopHeading-1.gif

Hate to say it, Squeaks, but yeah, Photoshop is not the best tool for actually creating logos. If you have Illustrator, that's probably what you want to be using.

If you can get your hands on Illustrator, I would highly recommend pcgd's tutorial for starting out: http://www.patrickcummings.net/tutorial . Once you get the basics of that down, it's pretty easy to start doing stuff freehand and playing around with some of the options that are available.

Hope that helps. ^_^

I have to disagree. If you are just going to be messing around with logos and doing them for yourselves, Photoshop is just fine and works for lots of people. I use it to do everything I do (not meaning I am good) and I am satisfied with what usually comes out.

Illustrator takes more of a learning curve to me and if you want to actually get your logos on clothing or do real work to present to companies- then it's the way to go because you can produce vector graphics.

I just didn't think it was fair to say that Photoshop isn't what you need, when it can certainly work. I am slowly learning Illustrator now...

Archived