Ebbets Field Flannels expanding its offerings

Gothamite

I don't know how old this is, but Ebbets Field Flannels has expanded its product line to include new teams. They're slowly working their way back to the olden days, when they made jerseys of dozens and dozens of teams.

Thought you fellas might be interested in these. I love the sleeve patches on some of them.

Some of the new jerseys available:

1958 Aberdeen Pheasants

aph58h.jpg

1957 Mexico City Red Devils

mex57h.jpg

1935 New York Black Yankees

nyb36h.jpg

1951 Sioux City Soos

soo51r.jpg

and my personal favorite....

1942 Milwaukee Brewers

mil42h.jpg

I just bought one. :D

I was going to order a 1942 custom Brewers jersey from them, but now maybe I'll order a 1936 or a 1947 instead. And hey, guys, if you're still listening - a cap to match would be nice!

I'm just glad that they were able to buy the company back from Stall & Dean.

They used to have the most amazing catalogue, covering so many teams. They're starting to build up to that again, and I for one am glad.

Now, if only they'd offer the 1940s Brewers jacket again. I had mine lifted at a party years ago, and I still miss the thing.

Stall and Dean really effed Ebetts up. They reduced the catalog by about 90%, and then they quit stocking some of the good things they still had (the old NFL vintage jerseys i.e. Chargers, Raiders) Ebetts store in Seattle used to be soooo cool. I hope they restore their retail outlet in Seattle to it's former prominence. I used to stop there everytime I was in Seattle during their "glory days". Stall and Dean has potential, but now they just have such a limited stock.

metslogo_215.gif

They don't offer them, but will do custom orders of any minor league club in the flannel era. I was thinking about asking them to customize a 1944 jersey (which is virtually identical to the 1942 jerseys, with the exception of the sleeve patches).

The 1936 uniforms were white with thick red piping up the front and on the sleeves and a navy block "M" on the chest. The 1947 uniforms had almost the same wordmark as the 1942 jerseys, and had navy piping on the sleeves and up the front.

I have been assembling some photo references of American Association Brewers uniforms as part of a planned website which I can never manage to get around to making. I'll see if I can find them.

I think they did some work alongside M&N making MLB hats (and as I recall, they were exceptional), but I don't think they ever did jerseys. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mr. Cohen (I'm assuming he'll read this), but isn't MLB really finicky about their Cooperstoiwn stuff, even to the point of some of the products being inaccurate?

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I don't recall them doing any MLB items, although they did a lot for minor clubs that would later give their names to major league clubs (Brewers, Orioles, Angels).

Cooperstown Collection merchandise is inaccurate because MLB gives the manufacturers bad EPS files. We've seen them, and you can see how errors like the bad Brooklyn "B" get spread.

Speaking of Mitchell and Ness, it really burns me up that they're not making the authentic hats anymore, choosing instead to make stuff "inspired by" the originals.

I hope they get the rights back to do the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Beavers, Seattle Rainiers, and Santurce Cangrejeros to name a few.

No Pelicans jerseys at the moment, but they do have a t-shirt and two caps:

I love the one from 1942:

nop42c.jpg

I'm surprised they don't have more Rainiers stuff available. Being in Seattle, that was always a mainstay of their inventory. Maybe in their retail shop. All they have on the site is a pennant-inspired t-shirt and a cap:

sea55c.jpg

They do have a Santurce Cangrejeros jackpot, though. Home jersey, road jersey and a cap, all from 1954.

can54h.jpgcan54r.jpgcan54c.jpg

No Beavers anything at the moment. :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
and my personal favorite....

1942 Milwaukee Brewers

mil42h.jpg

I just bought one.  :D 

I was going to order a 1942 custom Brewers jersey from them, but now maybe I'll order a 1936 or a 1947 instead.  And hey, guys, if you're still listening - a cap to match would be nice!

I was looking at the 1943 team photo and it appears that they are wearing red hats with a navy "M"; does this jive with other photos you've seen from the 40's?

Here's the photo from Wikipedia:

1943 Brewers Team Photo

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

They went back and forth between red with a navy M and navy with a red M, so far as I can figure. The few color pictures I have all show navy caps, but you're right - they sure look red in that picture.

Funny - I was the one who uploaded that photo to Wikipedia. :D One of prides of my collection - a "Brewers News" newsletter, signed by most of the team (including owner Bill Veeck).

The cap of which I was thinking was actually the one they wore from around 1947 until the team moved in 1953 - navy crown, red bill and button, and white felt M stiched on the front. I'd love one, but the Cooperstown Ball Cap Company's mediocre track record doesn't make me excited about custom ordering one from them.

They went back and forth between red with a navy M and navy with a red M, so far as I can figure.  The few color pictures I have all show navy caps, but you're right - they sure look red in that picture.

Funny - I was the one who uploaded that photo to Wikipedia.  :D  One of prides of my collection - a "Brewers News" newsletter, signed by most of the team (including owner Bill Veeck).

The cap of which I was thinking was actually the one they wore from around 1947 until the team moved in 1953 - navy crown, red bill and button, and white felt M stiched on the front.  I'd love one, but the Cooperstown Ball Cap Company's mediocre track record doesn't make me excited about custom ordering one from them.

Thanks a lot for sharing your stuff on Wikipedia. If you look at your 1943 newsletter photo, it also looks like they're wearing red socks with navy stripes - very Cardinal-like and not very Brave-like. Do you know off-hand when Lou Perini bought the minor league Brewers? Maybe the current Brewers should wear the '43 jerseys once a homestand.

Is there a significant difference between the cap of the Milwaukee Braves and the Brewers cap from 1947 to 1953? Is the "M' on the Brewers' version narrower?

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

In 1943 they were a Cubs farm team, I believe. Perini didn't buy them until 1947, IIRC.

As for the caps, the Braves did use a narrower M. I don't believe that they ever used a felt letter; they were always embroidered on.

Once a homestand might be a bit much, but I'd like to see them do a throwback game to the old Brewers. They haven't done one in maybe a decade, and I think it's time.

Archived