Men's World Curling Championships

slapshot

Like many people, I started to get caught up in curling-mania during the Olympics. And with the 2006 Men's World Championships being held literally next door, I figure it's as good a time as any to check it out. So here are some pictures I took of last nights draw, which was the final night of round-robin play.

The top four teams play today in the semifinals, 1 Scotland vs. 2 Canada, 3 Norway vs. 4 US.

The matches lat night were:

Japan vs. Australia

Scotland vs. Ireland

Sweden vs. Denmark

US vs. Canada

Here are the Swedish fans sitting above the Canadian fans.

P1010040.jpg

A closeup of the Swedish fans

P1010042.jpg

A shot across the 4 lanes. In the back lane, Autralia (yellow/green) and Japan (black). The next lane closer shows Scotland (white). Then you can see the Denmark (red) team standing in the aisle watching the player from Sweden (yellow).

P1010041.jpg

The US Sweepers

P1010044.jpg

US & Canada players after the rocks hit each other.

P1010046.jpg

More to come!

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Yes, actually, I did enjoy it. I don't know if it's something I'd enjoy watching on a regular basis, but you get to see a lot more in person than what's shown on TV. You can definitely see the chess aspect of it, and be awed when seeing one stone knock 3 others out of the house!

The weird part was that you only hear the fans and the curlers. There's no PA going on during the matches, and music from the speakers. At times, it's as quiet as a library.

More pictures:

US setting up the next shot.

P1010045.jpg

The Aussies coming into the house.

P1010047.jpg

And now the Japanese team, with the Scotland team in the foreground.

P1010051.jpg

The US throwing the stone.

P1010053.jpg

Team Canada coming into the house.

P1010057.jpg

US Captain Pete Fenson setting up the next shot, with Canada captain Jean-Michel Ménard in the background.

P1010058.jpg

Fans of Ireland.

P1010060.jpg

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oy! Oy! Oy!

P1010061.jpg

The Scots had their fans in the stands, right next to the Canadians.

P1010063.jpg

The sculpture & decorations out in front of the arena. My apartment building is just off-screen to the right.

P1010064.jpg

There are some sports that are better on TV and some sports that are better in person.

For example, baseball is better in person.

But I think curling is better on TV because you get that overhead view right on your screen. And it's not on some Jumbotron far, far away.

Archived