Univ of Oregon Baseball Uni

hawk36

it will continue to be that lopsided, though, until either A. football scholarship numbers are cut down (and, honestly, what program needs 85 scholarships?) or B. the proportionality numbers and rules are changed to allow men's to be disproportionate due to football's ridiculous numbers.

harperdc.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just do away with title IX. Its hurting more then its helping, i mean there are quite a bit of schools that offer more womens sports then mens, its WAY too one sided, and now a days i think women are on equal enough footing that they dont need "help" to play sports. Title IX needs to get bent. Period.

Wow, somebody didn't do any research before posting.

I could write a book on all that's wrong with what you said. Wait, I already did.

Just wanted to add that Syracuse doesn't have a baseball team

Mainly because they spend so much on hoops and lacrosse that time of year

And there is snow cover in Syracuse pretty much from mid-October all the way through mid-April. Will Pennyfeather had no chance.

Club teams at universities are pretty common. A lot of Pac-10, ACC and SEC schools have club ice hockey teams. I've actually been to a UF-FSU game.

They'd have no chance against the lowest-ranked Division I team (last year's 59th-best team was American International College).

Like most men's sports (besides football and basketball, and hockey at some schools) women's sports don't pull in any money (except for one or two exceptions, I think, like North Carolina soccer), so there's no reason schools should be forced to keep them.

I think female athletes tend to do better academically than male athletes, but that shouldn't factor into the issue. A good student is going to be a good student regardless of whether or not she has an athletic scholarship.

I also think athletes who play for revenue-generating teams (of any gender and in any sport) should be paid a salary based on the revenue brought in and the amount of playing time they receive.

I played Club baseball for James Madison University in the NCBA while I was in school. We made the World Series twice and actually played Oregon one of those years I believe.

Anyways, for those not that familiar with club ball, the quality can vary widely based on the seriousness and competitiveness of each school. I would say the better club teams were on par at least with Division III schools if not some Division II. As we played a couple Division III teams in our fall season my Senior year, and more than held our own over a couple 3 game series'.

I've actually seen a (not wholly outlined, but informative enough) Oregon athletics budget, and the only sport that brings in huge income to pay for itself for us is football. Basketball brings in revenue, but IIRC it's just behind the costs.

this is for one of the few (12-18, if I'm remembering correctly again) self-sufficient Division-I programs. Much of the rest of their income comes from donations, large and small, and the sales from season tickets through the Duck Athletic Fund.

so unless you're the football team, everyone is a loss on the scorecard, including track and field - arguably the true heart and soul of this school's athletics department. Men's basketball does its part, but it's not completely paying it's own bill, either, so to be biased against one sport or another, or women's sports versus men's, would be incredibly stupid.

at last Friday's press conference for baseball's return, it was mentioned that baseball had "income potential" - through ticket sales, advertising, donations, etc., and I'm not going to doubt it. It's still going to cost as much off the budget as most anything else.

harperdc.gif

Archived