Univ of Oregon Baseball Uni

hawk36

I have been looking for a picture of the University of Oregon baseball uniforms only to find out that they DON'T have a baseball team. I was shocked. How can a Pac 10 school not have a baseball team?

Anyway, does anyone know why they don't have a team? Have they ever had a team and if so, does anyone have a picture of the uniforms? The whole thing is very weird but maybe it's just me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 of the Big 12 schools dont have baseball programs. But it is kinda surprising that Nike U doesnt have a NCAA baseball team, but college baseball isnt much of a moneymaker to most schools nor is it near as popular as football and basketball so i can see how many baseball programs become phased out.

I think it's a Title IX thing. A lot of Pac-10 schools trade out sports for other sports. For instance, Washington State doesn't have softball nor men's tennis, but most of the other schools do have those sports.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I can get you some pictures from our club baseball team, if you like. sometimes we don't generate enough interest in a sport to have it sanctioned by the department of athletics. i believe both baseball and hockey fall into these categories. Club sports are teams that can play intercollegiately, but they don't receive any money from the school, for uniforms or anything. Again, both baseball and hockey apply to UofO.

OD_Signature.jpg

I can get you some pictures from our club baseball team, if you like. sometimes we don't generate enough interest in a sport to have it sanctioned by the department of athletics. i believe both baseball and hockey fall into these categories. Club sports are teams that can play intercollegiately, but they don't receive any money from the school, for uniforms or anything. Again, both baseball and hockey apply to UofO.

Thanks man.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

sometimes we don't generate enough interest in a sport to have it sanctioned by the department of athletics. i believe both baseball and hockey fall into these categories. Club sports are teams that can play intercollegiately, but they don't receive any money from the school, for uniforms or anything. Again, both baseball and hockey apply to UofO.

Basically, yes, but so much more. "Club Sports" are no different that any other clubs on a college campus, wether it be glee club or Latin club, or chess club, or a club baseball team. They are generaly governed by some type of student life department, as opposed to true "Intercollegiate Athletics" which are governed by the athletics department. Those sports (NCAA or NAIA) recieve funding through the university or college for travel, equipment, etc.

Meanwhile, club teams not only recieve little in the way of university funding (hey, all cubs recieve some level of institutinal support), but the players typically have to either pay their own way for uniforms, equipment, and travel to games. For a sport like hockey, this can get very expensive very quickly, as ice time for practice (especially if the university does not offer, as part of it's support, free ice time) is not cheap.

Make sense now?

And to answer the initial question, Title IX is likely the reason for no baseball at Oregon. At least that's the reason for no baseball at Wisconsin - the only Big 10 school without the sport...

Moose

I have been looking for a picture of the University of Oregon baseball uniforms only to find out that they DON'T have a baseball team. I was shocked. How can a Pac 10 school not have a baseball team?

I guess that's one reason why Oregon State has such a strong team--with only one college in the state playing D-I baseball, locals that want to stay in state have to go to Corvallis.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Hugo Bezdek once coached their hoops and baseball teams.

He is one of the most interesting people I have ever come accross in sports research.

He is the only man to ever manage in MLB (Pirates) and coach in the NFL (Cleveland Rams). . . he also coached in multiple Rose Bowls, termed the Univ. of Arkansas famed nickname as Razorbacks when he coached football there and was also the first athletic director in Penn State history. . . and he was born in Czechoslovakia. He played his college football of Amos Alonzo Stagg at the U of Chicago. Bezdek is one of the first sports marketers and the original athletic director at Penn State. Truly an amazing guy.

fade.gif

I guess that's one reason why Oregon State has such a strong team--with only one college in the state playing D-I baseball, locals that want to stay in state have to go to Corvallis.

The University of Portland also sponsors baseball, so there are two D-I programs in the state. Oregon and Portland State are the schools that don't sponsor baseball.

QPR%20Sig.png

Weather is not a small factor? When I lived in Wyoming in HS, there were no HS baseball programs. If you wanted to play, you had to play American Legion during the summer months because the spring weather wasn't pleasant.

And don't a bunch of northeastern programs have to play a bunch of road games in the south to start the college season? I remember Maine, Villanova, and some Big XI teams doing it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

You guys should see what I have in the works for Oregon in my NCAA baseball project. If you think what you just saw was Nike-fied, you ain't seen nothing yet...

QPR%20Sig.png

• 1 year later...

Now they have a true Division I program again. Oregon will field a basbeall team again in 2009 at the expense of the wrestling team.

Perhaps they are getting jealous of OSU's success in baseball? Just a guess.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

The Beavers success has brought a lot of attention to the Ducks' lack of a baseball team. Plus, they have a new AD and I suppose he'd want to make an impression.

I believe I read that Oregon killed their baseball program in the early 80s.

Archived