Keith Hernandez: Women don't belong in the dugout

brinkeguthrie

... um, what about the part that he said RIGHT after his comment where he said he was only teasing?

Because that makes it better? "I'm only teasing" as a get out of jail card?

Yes, because it means he wasn't serious. He was making a joke, and in case people out there didn't get the joke he told everyone it was a joke immediately.

I'm waiting for the lawsuit for emotional damage

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... um, what about the part that he said RIGHT after his comment where he said he was only teasing?

Because that makes it better? "I'm only teasing" as a get out of jail card?

Yes, because it means he wasn't serious. He was making a joke, and in case people out there didn't get the joke he told everyone it was a joke immediately.

I'm waiting for the lawsuit for emotional damage

He was only "teasing" because I bet his producers said something to him with the quickness.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't get why people expect ballplayers to be these models of progressive thought and political correctness. These guys aren't college-educated self-loathing whites with their fingers on the pulse of American liberalism. These are guys for whom baseball has been their entire life, and have reached a point where they are paid handsomely to do so. They spend half a year traveling around the country in their elite boys' club. Frankly, they have bigger fish to fry in life than to wring their hands about the evil of white Protestant males throughout history, and are not in an environment to be as continuously bludgeoned by feminism and other "progressive" movements as the rest of us.

Their worlds are very small, and I think people need to understand that. Roger Clemens says he couldn't get his dry cleaning done in Anaheim because all the owners were at the Japan-Korea game. It's not explicitly racist, it's not meant to incite hatred of Asians for operating laundromats, and you know what? He's Roger Freakin' Clemens. He can say what he wants. John Rocker doesn't like New York because he has to ride a train with welfare mothers and punks and immigrants and so on. The guy is from rural Georgia, spent his minor league days in Greenville SC. He'd lived a sheltered life and was ignorant of Northeastern urban life, and he said some really dumb stuff. Was it offensive and out of line? Of course, but how could you expect more from him? Keith Hernandez doesn't like women in the dugout. Take a survey of 500 ballplayers who retired before 1994, I bet an overwhelming majority would be just as apprehensive towards that, because to them, the dugout and the clubhouse belong to the guys. I don't really care if there are females on the training staff, but I can see why the idea is so near and dear to them. As long as the rest of the world is fair and equal and all, I think people should just concede that the clubhouse is going to be the last holdout of boorish ignorance. You can sterilize and neutralize every other workplace in America, but maybe people should just leave ballplayers to their own devices on this one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Let's give ourselves a pat on the back for not going with a cheap "massage therapist" joke.

Oh, I don't know, I just hope this situation has a happy ending.

well not for ICS, he prefers the Asian touch....

I saw, I came, I left.

I don't get why people expect ballplayers to be these models of progressive thought and political correctness. These guys aren't college-educated self-loathing whites with their fingers on the pulse of American liberalism. These are guys for whom baseball has been their entire life, and have reached a point where they are paid handsomely to do so. They spend half a year traveling around the country in their elite boys' club. Frankly, they have bigger fish to fry in life than to wring their hands about the evil of white Protestant males throughout history, and are not in an environment to be as continuously bludgeoned by feminism and other "progressive" movements as the rest of us.

Their worlds are very small, and I think people need to understand that. Roger Clemens says he couldn't get his dry cleaning done in Anaheim because all the owners were at the Japan-Korea game. It's not explicitly racist, it's not meant to incite hatred of Asians for operating laundromats, and you know what? He's Roger Freakin' Clemens. He can say what he wants. John Rocker doesn't like New York because he has to ride a train with welfare mothers and punks and immigrants and so on. The guy is from rural Georgia, spent his minor league days in Greenville SC. He'd lived a sheltered life and was ignorant of Northeastern urban life, and he said some really dumb stuff. Was it offensive and out of line? Of course, but how could you expect more from him? Keith Hernandez doesn't like women in the dugout. Take a survey of 500 ballplayers who retired before 1994, I bet an overwhelming majority would be just as apprehensive towards that, because to them, the dugout and the clubhouse belong to the guys. I don't really care if there are females on the training staff, but I can see why the idea is so near and dear to them. As long as the rest of the world is fair and equal and all, I think people should just concede that the clubhouse is going to be the last holdout of boorish ignorance. You can sterilize and neutralize every other workplace in America, but maybe people should just leave ballplayers to their own devices on this one.

I can accept active ballplayers making these comments in the dugout it's most often than not a private area where most of the public doesn't hear what's going on, nor do they care.

But Keith Hernandez, right now is a BROADCASTER, NOT a baseball player and he should accept that what he says will be magnified if he says something that may offend someone. That's part of the profession. This kind of conversation occurs in the workplace all time, yes, but that's mostly done in private conversation, like the dugout. Put it this way, do you think a CEO, or any executive talking to his shareholders would get a pass from similar comments? I highly doubt it.

I can accept what John Rocker said is out of ignorance, and from the responses from the people of New York, he has learned from that.

I saw, I came, I left.

Listen to Keith Hernandez do the game hes a bit of a throwback to swashbuckling 70s player who played hard on the field and party harder off the field, he had trouble with cocaine, and during games talks about 1,000 ways of getting drunk when he was a player a woman in the clubhouse was unthinkable even as a reporter, and I think tahts where his mindset still is.

I dont think he thinks of baseball as political or as improtant in the scheme of life and just wants to do the game and have fun doing it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived