Keith Hernandez: Women don't belong in the dugout

brinkeguthrie

Was she really in full uniform?

I saw her wearing Padres cap, and camo jersey (it was the camo jersey game)... not 100% on the pants.

Is she, or other Padre medical staff, normally in uniform or was this something they did just for camo jersey night?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its hard to belive how the media has blow this way out of proportion. I don't have a problem with a female trainer in the dugout if she is wearing the traditional khakis and team polo shirt but she should not be wearing the team uniform. The opportunity to wear that uniform is something that has to be earned by playing baseball, not graduating from medical school.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

its hard to belive how the media has blow this way out of proportion. I don't have a problem with a female trainer in the dugout if she is wearing the traditional khakis and team polo shirt but she should not be wearing the team uniform. The opportunity to wear that uniform is something that has to be earned by playing baseball, not graduating from medical school.

Or graduating from Bat Boy school :P

its hard to belive how the media has blow this way out of proportion.  I don't have a problem with a female trainer in the dugout if she is wearing the traditional khakis and team polo shirt but she should not be wearing the team uniform. The opportunity to wear that uniform is something that has to be earned by playing baseball, not graduating from medical school.

Or graduating from Bat Boy school :P

:lol: that's a good point. take Dusty Baker's son for instance..... Now if there is a pic of her in another game in a full jersey, then there is a bit a problem there, but I think (just a guess here) that she wore the jersey because it was a night to honour the troops. Besides, she looks much better in baseball jersey than Hernandez ever did in a Mets uniform :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Well Hernandez gave an appology today.

He should be fired and castrated, and go to redcuation boot camp for shame to think he was still living in America when there was freedom of speach and the PC police were not around every corner redy to create a new National Crisis.

She was ina  uniform Trainers dont usually wear uniforms, give the guy a break he's there to comment on baseball and his style is refreshing as half his stories end with him getting drunk at one time his life.

He did appologize today this is what I mean by Political Corectness taking freedom away one day at a time.

What freedom did he actually lose?

We all have the right to say pretty much whatever the :censored: we want. However, our right to say whatever the :censored: we want is checked by the right for people to react however the :censored: they want to what we say. That includes the PC police.

I say this is a great example why America is such a great country. He's not going to be fired, he's not going to be jailed, and in a couple of days there will be another story for people to get outraged about.

There are people out there actually calling for him to be fired, and tahts what my problem is, he said it in a 9 innig game over 162 games he may say something dumb here and there anybody will I guess hes supposed to be perfect up there, and thats what I'm talking about.

The outrage on this or media created outrage, the media does create the story they want by spinning the story as they want all the time, and they get people to follow and want to start a riot then 2 days later they have forgotten the whole thing, unless the media keeps it alive.

But this all still boils down to Political Corectness run amok.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

... um, what about the part that he said RIGHT after his comment where he said he was only teasing?

Because that makes it better? "I'm only teasing" as a get out of jail card?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

But this all still boils down to Political Corectness run amok.

Actually, it boils down to a ultrasensationalist American newsmedia that will pounce upon anything that will spark a debate or cause a spike in ratings, a gaggle of cynical talk radio mouthpieces that can't wait for someone they can smack around, and people that love to shout about how Political Correctness is the ruination of this great land and how great the good ol' days were.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

it does seem overblown. but i was discussing it with my wife tonight and the more i thought on it, i've never EVER seen a woman in the dugout. She's perfectly qualified to be there, tho. Do other teams have women staff in the dugout?

Perhaps is she was dressed like the rest of the training staff it would have been differnt and Keith would have known.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

honestly i dont think his issue was with that fact that the woman was in the dugout but i think he was more or less caught off guard by the sight of a woman wearing a major league baseball uniform.

If she's wearing the normal training staff get up, this is never an issue.

Cards08.jpg

Maybe some club will try to be progressive and make all the managers/coaches/non-player staff wear polo shirts or something. I hope it's the Giants so I can point my finger and laugh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe some club will try to be progressive and make all the managers/coaches/non-player staff wear polo shirts or something. I hope it's the Giants so I can point my finger and laugh.

nah, thats one of the coolest things about baseball is that the managers and coaches all look like the players. just one of those unique quirks that separates it from every other sport. I hope it doenst change.

Cards08.jpg

Every year, there's the token column that goes "agh I don't want to see (insert elderly fat guy) suit up! They should be like the NFL, WHICH IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW IS THE BEST SPORTING LEAGUE IN HISTORY."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

honestly i dont think his issue was with that fact that the woman was in the dugout but i think he was more or less caught off guard by the sight of a woman wearing a major league baseball uniform.

If she's wearing the normal training staff get up, this is never an issue.

I tend to agree with you on that.

If you saw the actual clip, Herandez (I think) noticed her and that's where the whole thing started. The play-by-play man and Herandez did sound like they were joking. The play-by-play man was kinda laughing when he told Herandez to stop it. If Herandez was surprised by her appearance, then maybe he should have chosen better words in that situation.

It's great to have free speech, but it's no excuse for Herandez. You can't have free speech without consequences sometimes. He's paid to comment on the game and perhaps a few things in stands and conduct himself in a professional manner. He's not Chris Rock or Larry the Cable Guy who are paid to be insulting. There's a difference between saying that between innings than in the game. The network did repermend him which is good enough because Hernandez represents the station that gets revenue by advertisements and those companies and needs to re reiminded of that. He should just apologise to the woman and that should be it as far as this goes. For those who think absolutely nothing of the comment, imagine had this been Jackie Robinson 59 years ago?

I don't know if there is a rule for training staff in regards to uniforms, but I still stand by my belief that she must have worn the uniform because of the symbolism of that particular game.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived