Baseball Stirrups

illinirox1

I could even live with that stupid faux-stirrup sock thing if it meant the end of the "baseball slacks" look.

Like when Jose Canseco had stripes sewn into his yellow socks?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Most baseball players don't think about things like "oh it's tradition to wear stirrups." They think about what's comfortable for them and there's also that superstition factor. You wear your pants low and you jack one, you're not gonna want to change it the next time around. Leave ball players alone about things like socks though. The reality is that baseball players really don't care. There are some who try to be cool and still others that try to call back memories of pre-1970s baseball. I'm part of the neutral majority who will do whatever they damn well please to be in their comfort zone. For me, it's solid socks (my high school just wears solid blue socks, no school ever wears stirrups anymore) shown all the way up to my knees. I think I have more range of motion that way. Don't ask me why.

For me, it's solid socks (my high school just wears solid blue socks, no school ever wears stirrups anymore) shown all the way up to my knees. I think I have more range of motion that way. Don't ask me why.

Amen to that. I also like a lot of constriction pretty much everywhere (however medically unsound it may be). Tight shoes, a hat one size too small, and cuffs folded over my thighs. So, coincidentally, and according to my preference, my socks show.

Most baseball players don't think about things like "oh it's tradition to wear stirrups."

True observation.

Leave ball players alone about things like socks though.

I will not...

The reality is that baseball players really don't care.

True observation #2. But I might add the completion of your sentance:

...about the game or themselves.

Truth is that they don't want to be part of tradition or a team, it is all about "I...me...mine."

I don't care about solid socks v. stirrups. Solid probably makes more sense these days. However, they should be up rather than the baggy pants look.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived