Adidas wins logo fight at Wimbledon

brinkeguthrie

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=As9R...ov=ap&type=lgns

LONDON (AP) -- Adidas won a temporary court ruling Wednesday in a dispute with international tennis bodies over the size of its three-striped logo on players' clothing, allowing the logo to appear at Wimbledon.

The German sportswear manufacturer was granted a temporary injunction in London's High Court against a new rule limiting the size of the logo to 4 square inches.

Adidas is hypocritical! And here's some background why. When I was with Nike they said the same thing about the stripes on coaches polos, tipping on collars (both on jerseys and sideline apparel)

when the NCAA set limitations on the amount and scale of manufacturers logos on gear. Nike contended in court that the 3-stripe motif is synonomous with Adidas should also be considered their logo and not just a "decorative trim" as Adidas argued. The NCAA ruled in favor of Adidas, so they got to put their performance logo and the stripes everywhere. Don't think the 3 stripes in Notre Dames collar on the old unis was just an accident. Here's the hypocrisy...Adidas over the past few years has sued succesfully a number of companies, Gap, Steve Madden footwear, Fred Perry and others over their use of a 3-stripe motif on track jackets and shoes. In the case

of Steve Madden shoes, they were using 4 stripes, but Adidas argued that the negative space between stripes could be construed as 3. They sued Fred perry over 2-stripes on the sleeves of track jackets. So which is it Adidas? Is it 2-3 or 4 stripes you supposedly own or don't own?

My point being, how can they claim to the NCAA and the governing bodies of tennis that

the 3-stripes are no part a logo, or associated with their overall aestheitic. Then claim against other that they're infringing on their "common knowledge" stripe motif. You can't have it both ways, though it seems they're being succesfull at it for now. Much of this has to do not with trademarking the 3-stripes but the more grey area of what the public might percieve as confusion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=As9R...ov=ap&type=lgns

LONDON (AP) -- Adidas won a temporary court ruling Wednesday in a dispute with international tennis bodies over the size of its three-striped logo on players' clothing, allowing the logo to appear at Wimbledon.

The German sportswear manufacturer was granted a temporary injunction in London's High Court against a new rule limiting the size of the logo to 4 square inches.

It's not a logo, honest! :rolleyes:

Adidas: die Marke mit drei Streifen. <----- from an Adidas shoebox I have... <_<

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Adidas is hypocritical! And here's some background why. When I was with Nike they said the same thing about the stripes on coaches polos, tipping on collars (both on jerseys and sideline apparel)

when the NCAA set limitations on the amount and scale of manufacturers logos on gear. Nike contended in court that the 3-stripe motif is synonomous with Adidas should also be considered their logo and not just a "decorative trim" as Adidas argued. The NCAA ruled in favor of Adidas, so they got to put their performance logo and the stripes everywhere. Don't think the 3 stripes in Notre Dames collar on the old unis was just an accident. Here's the hypocrisy...Adidas over the past few years has sued succesfully a number of companies, Gap, Steve Madden footwear, Fred Perry and others over their use of a 3-stripe motif on track jackets and shoes. In the case

of Steve Madden shoes, they were using 4 stripes, but Adidas argued that the negative space between stripes could be construed as 3. They sued Fred perry over 2-stripes on the sleeves of track jackets. So which is it Adidas? Is it 2-3 or 4 stripes you supposedly own or don't own?

My point being, how can they claim to the NCAA and the governing bodies of tennis that

the 3-stripes are no part a logo, or associated with their overall aestheitic. Then claim against other that they're infringing on their "common knowledge" stripe motif. You can't have it both ways, though it seems they're being succesfull at it for now. Much of this has to do not with trademarking the 3-stripes but the more grey area of what the public might percieve as confusion.

Actually, you've got it backwards. adidas sued the NCAA in a case very similiar to the one with Wimbleton. The two were able to settle out of court in late 1999, but changes were made to how adidas could display their logo. adidas could use the three stripes on uniforms and sideline gear, but to be considered legal one of the stripes had to be a different color than the other two. The NCAA Bylaw (12.5.4b) was amended in 2000 to read as follows:

"The student-athlete?s institution?s official uniform (including numbered racing bibs and warm-ups) and all other items of apparel (e.g., socks, head bands, T-shirts, wrist bands, visors or hats, swim caps and towels) shall bear only a single manufacturer?s or distributor?s normal label or trademark (regardless of the visibility of the label or trademark), not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches in area (i.e., rectangle, square, parallelogram) including any additional material (e.g., patch) surrounding the normal trademark or logo. The student-athlete?s institution?s official uniform and all other items of apparel shall not bear a design element similar to the manufacturer?s trademark/logo that is in addition to another trademark/logo that is contrary to the size restriction. (Revised: 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 2/16/00)"

The stripes on the Notre Dame jersey collar that you refrence (97-2000 model) were actually made by Champion, not adidas. Since switching to adidas uniforms in 2001, Notre Dame has had a solid blue collar.

I hope nike dosen't see this but why dosent nike create their own striping pattern to compete with the adidas three lines.

iyiyi.png

That's the same thing I suggested in an earlier thread on this subject, so you know they've at least considered it. It really can't be that far off. Fight fire with fire I guess.

I hope nike dosen't see this but why dosent nike create their own striping pattern to compete with the adidas three lines.

iyiyi.png

That's the same thing I suggested in an earlier thread on this subject, so you know they've at least considered it. It really can't be that far off. Fight fire with fire I guess.

Yea to me it dosent make sense. Their fighting to limit advertising space when they could be putting other ads besides swooshes on the apparal

yankees-1.png

Archived