Saintsfan thanksgiving challenge

Saintsfan

I like those soccer jerseys, but for the complete 50's look I'd just use plain blue shorts without the bottom striping.

The jerseys from JQK and the helmet from UM seem more recent than the 50's, but hey, they're still nice.

Anywho, here's my take on USA hockey in the  50's.  Adaptation of my Blue Jackets 60's concept.

white

Blue

Do I need to include pants and socks?

The helmet i used was a throwback from the SLE. It is typical of the helmets from the mid to late 50's into the 70's and early 80's. Double-bar facemask, greay, no sweatbands on the front or back. I went with the simple star design, seing as how the vinyl logos of the day were really not good for making very complex logos. I went the with the large shoulder stripes, a la the Colts of the era. I went with a simple rounded number font, and simple stripes. No shoulder numbers either.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The helmet i used was a throwback from the SLE. It is typical of the helmets from the mid to late 50's into the 70's and early 80's. Double-bar facemask, greay, no sweatbands on the front or back. I went with the simple star design, seing as how the vinyl logos of the day were really not good for making very complex logos. I went the with the large shoulder stripes, a la the Colts of the era. I went with a simple rounded number font, and simple stripes. No shoulder numbers either.

I would reverse the colors of the shoulders of the white jersey, and have a white-red-white helmet stripe.

I have decided that I will allow UCLAcrew's USA soccer outfit into the vote when it is posted as well. I know I am stretching my own rukes a bit but he has done a pretty good job, and what the heck, its the holiday season, nearly ish!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I modiified the helmet from the template to look retro as best I could. It isn't authentic, but it is pretty good. As for the design, to say it looks out of place is totally untrue. As far as time period goes, if you think some modern team would ever put that design on their helmet, you are crazy. Back in the fifties there were some strange football helmet designs. I could imagine a team from the US throwing a flag design like this on their helmet. But,a team today would never do it. I love my helmet design, but only for what it is-a retro design. If it were a current design, I would probably hate it.

(and hey, while I couldn't get 50 stars on there-the stars were terrible any smaller- the helmet has exactly 13 stripes! :D )

In war there is no prize for runner-up. -- Omar N. Bradley

As far as time period goes, if you think some modern team would ever put that design on their helmet, you are crazy. Back in the fifties there were some strange football helmet designs. I could imagine a team from the US throwing a flag design like this on their helmet.

You forget the logos on the helmets then were either painted on, or they were layerd vinyl logos. That helmet design is too intricate for either method. The most complicated vinyl logo of that era (mid 50's - early 70's) was the Cardinals. And that was tough to do, so imagin trying to do a flag helmet....

sB9ijEj.png

I found alot of 50's pics with no mask, so I changed mine to reflect it.

As for the design, in 1967 I realize it isn't the 50's but only 7 years later) the Bengals chose the helmet with the word Bengals over this one (pretty detailed)

BENHELS.JPG

In the 50's the Vikings still had their horns and the Eagles had their wings which are pretty tough designs. Mine is mainly horizontal stripes. That's not a tough design.

Finally, let's not forget this intricate design which has been around since 1938!

harmmss.jpg

Also, I couln't find any uniform pictures with anything close to the striping you used (esp. on the pants).

I know it's for fun, but as long as we're trying to be historically accurate, I thought I'd mention this stuff. :D

In war there is no prize for runner-up. -- Omar N. Bradley

The bengals stripes isn't intricate. It's black stripes across the helmet. THe Eagles and Vikings were simple too. One layer. Your design calls for a majority of the helmet to be covers in vinyl striping, although simple, when it comes to the starfield, that's where it becomes tricky.

Not saying it's a bad design, i justthink for the time simpler was better...

But hey, two different thoughts, two different designs, that's the point, ain't it.....

sB9ijEj.png

Well...I guess I am on a roll.  after entering DBIX, I am now throwing my hat, errr helmet, into the ring for The Saintsfan Thanksgiving Challenge.

A little clarification of my design, I went with "brighter" colors since they seemed to use them in the early going...i guess to help differentiate on the TUBE, even in black and white.  And there are NO NAMES on the backs of these unis.

here goes nothing.....

Lucky's 1950s USA football Uniform

A hush descends as once again saintsfan and his snivelling assistant arrive at the podium.

Assistant: Once again a saintsfan challenge has brought together a healthy list of entries, and once again voters have had a hard time deciding on the winner, however our worshipful uberleader, saintsfan will now announce the winner.

Saintsfan: Thank you! Whilst world domination is taking a little longer than I had planned, after all raising a mercenary army on a teachers salary isn't easy, the standard for this special thanksgvining edition of the saintsfan challenge has been excellent, and without further ado I am plerased to announce that...

J Quincy King

is the winner. A roast turkey dinner will be on the way just as soon as I can catch the turkey!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

For the record here is the list of saintsfan challenge winners

1 Avenger (70s Jaguars)

2 UCLAcrew (minority crossover, won by default as only contestant!)

3. rozilla74 (60s Blue Jackets)

4. Avenger (awarded prize by me, as no poll taken!) (70s ABA style Bobcats)

5. Rozilla 74 (80s sharks)

6. (Thanksgiving special) J Quincy King (Team USA 50s)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived