Bama Hockey

Slammersman

Something else I left out... you seem to think it's easier and/or cheaper to get to Boston than to Florida, right? I find this difficult to believe considering more tourist destinations have reduced/subsidized airfare as a promotional tool, Florida and Vegas primary among them.

Marc

Excelent point. I just looked at Site 59.com (a great place to find last minute deals on flights and hotels), and Milwaukee to Boston (flight and hotell) for this weekend is about $400-500. Milwaukee to Tampa (also flight and hotel) is $250-350 :shocked: Yeah, more students are going to Boston at that price than Tampa :rolleyes:

Moose

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? So how do students get to bowl games? Were there no Badger students in Orlando for the Capital One Bowl last year?

You are trying to compare the Capital One Bowl to the Frozen Four? Apples and Oranges. Kohl Center attendance vs. Camp Randall attendance. Big House attendance vs. Munn Attendance. Metrodome attendance vs. Mariucci attendance.

Let me make sure I understand... comparing 10,000 Badger students seemingly incapable of making it to a Florida-based Frozen Four when 20,000 Badgers make it to a Florida bowl game is an unfair comparison?

My point was, if it's a big enough event, the students/fans will find a way, regardless of location. Big schools with big programs travel with their fanbase.

Something else I left out... you seem to think it's easier and/or cheaper to get to Boston than to Florida, right? I find this difficult to believe considering more tourist destinations have reduced/subsidized airfare as a promotional tool, Florida and Vegas primary among them.

Marc

My concern is not just for the WCHA, although it is the most dominant conference arguably in all of sports. So it's held in Boston, and the poor Badgers have to travel. Last time I checked, there are tons of Frozen Four candidates from the Boston area that get to see their teams at home. There are no home college hockey teams in Florida, no matter how you try to slice it up. The BU, BC, Northeastern, Harvard, UMASS fans just get to take the train for $2 to see their team play.

Really? So how do students get to bowl games? Were there no Badger students in Orlando for the Capital One Bowl last year?

You are trying to compare the Capital One Bowl to the Frozen Four? Apples and Oranges. Kohl Center attendance vs. Camp Randall attendance. Big House attendance vs. Munn Attendance. Metrodome attendance vs. Mariucci attendance.

Let me make sure I understand... comparing 10,000 Badger students seemingly incapable of making it to a Florida-based Frozen Four when 20,000 Badgers make it to a Florida bowl game is an unfair comparison?

My point was, if it's a big enough event, the students/fans will find a way, regardless of location. Big schools with big programs travel with their fanbase.

Marc

My concern is not just for the WCHA, although it is the most dominant conference arguably in all of sports. So it's held in Boston, and the poor Badgers have to travel. Last time I checked, there are tons of Frozen Four candidates from the Boston area that get to see their teams at home. There are no home college hockey teams in Florida, no matter how you try to slice it up. The BU, BC, Northeastern, Harvard, UMASS fans just get to take the train for $2 to see their team play.

So what are you going to do when it's in Denver (a legitimate college hockey town host for 2008), and, by chance, neither Denver University or Colorado College (a reasonable chance) make it? Is it fair that Denver gets the Frozen Four, and Minnesotans, Wisconsinites and Easteners might have to travel? What about when it was all WCHA teams, and the Frozen Four was in Columbus (2005)?

Unless you don't select a site until after the teams are in, you will never guarantee that the spot is geographically appropriate. Since this is the case, why not go to a "destination" (there I go using that word again) that people actually want to go to (like, oh, say Tampa, FL)?

Moose

The first 10 Frozen Fours were held in Colorado Springs from 1948 to 1957. Sorry had to mention that...I know it brings nothing to the conversation. :D

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

So what are you going to do when it's in Denver (a legitimate college hockey town host for 2008), and, by chance, neither Denver University or Colorado College (a reasonable chance) make it? Is it fair that Denver gets the Frozen Four, and Minnesotans, Wisconsinites and Easteners might have to travel? What about when it was all WCHA teams, and the Frozen Four was in Columbus (2005)?

Unless you don't select a site until after the teams are in, you will never guarantee that the spot is geographically appropriate. Since this is the case, why not go to a "destination" (there I go using that word again) that people actually want to go to (like, oh, say Tampa, FL)?

Moose

If you think that's what I've been driving at this whole time, you're stupid.

or just retarded.

Archived