What if Vince Carter...

Eye

Vince Carter's contract with the Nets ends after this season if he opts out. Early on in his Toronto days, it seemed like VC was liked by many, with his high flying skills and amazing dunks. I don't remember how the fans reacted when he went to his graduation the same day as when he missed that buzzer beater vs. the 76ers in game 7 of the '01 Eastern Conference Semifinals. I know people were angry when he was injured in 2002/03 and was on stage with Nelly. We all know how it ended with Carter, saying he didn't completely try during his last year or so with the Raptors. Then we all know how he gets booed like crazy by fans when the Nets visit Toronto. My question is this. If Carter went back to Toronto, would the fans accept him? Would they accept him if he apologized for acting the way he did towards the end of his tenure with the Raptors? Just wondering, guys.

-E.A.R.

Winning cures everything. If VC were to head back to Toronto and they win, all is forgiven. There was much heat (no pun intended) on Mourning for leaving Miami for Jersey and when he returned a few years later those same "fans" were giving him a standing ovation and saying how much of a warrior he was. That's one of many examples.

Winning cures everything. If VC were to head back to Toronto and they win, all is forgiven. There was much heat (no pun intended) on Mourning for leaving Miami for Jersey and when he returned a few years later those same "fans" were giving him a standing ovation and saying how much of a warrior he was. That's one of many examples.

A warrior doesn't refuse to report to a team, then collect salary from the team until he's bought out for multiple millions of dollars.

Mourning is worse than Carter in my eyes.

But if Vince re-signed here, he would be loved... and those retailers selling his authentic raptors jerseys for $30 Cdn would be kicking themselves... hard.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

you know what, I liked Vince, I even felt sorry for him being on a crappy team with no direction, but that crappy team was my team and he screwed us!

He still owns a club here and thinks he owns the city, but I don't know if I'd want to take Vince back at this point.

Not because of the grudge, but really because his knees are wrecked (watching him last night against Boston was sad) and the LAST thing I want this franchise to do is give him another max contract where he will be injured again.

Archived