Oilers/kings vintage

NickNickNick

Why are the LA Kings wearing their vintage gold jerseys and the Oilers wearing their current thirds?  It looks ridiculous, especially with the Kings wearing white helmets again.

Meh.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

i think the Oilers were only scheduled to wear the vintage jerseys for the Heritage Classic. and IMO the Kings look absolutely horrible when they go vintage. If they weren't willing to part with the cash for yellow helmets and purple pant shells, then they shouldn't have participated in the Vintage program.

*steps off the soapbox* thank you.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

i think the Oilers were only scheduled to wear the vintage jerseys for the Heritage Classic. and IMO the Kings look absolutely horrible when they go vintage. If they weren't willing to part with the cash for yellow helmets and purple pant shells, then they shouldn't have participated in the Vintage program.

*steps off the soapbox* thank you.

I agree with you 100%.  When I turned on that game it looked like the Oilers were playing a local rec hockey team because of the brutal uniform combo.  By the end of the game I could see which team was the rec hockey team... :D

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessments of the Kings' retro efforts.  Either spend a few more bucks to do it right or don't do it at all.  A professional sports team employing multimillion dollar salaried players has no excuse for not spending a few more bucks to color-coordinate a uniform for a throwback event.

What is it with LA teams wearing purple & yellow? Who came up with that one? The Kings' currents are better, & the old black-and-silver ones were even better. Granted, it woulda been better had Edmonton worn the blue-and-orange unis from their glory days with Gretzky.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I don't know why I think this, but dont the teams get outer equipment, like helmets & pant shells free from the manufacturer, as you can actually see the logos on them, and that is a type of advertising that, quite frankly, the hockey equipment industry thrives on?

What is it with LA teams wearing purple & yellow? Who came up with that one?

I think it was Jack Kent Cooke whom I believe owned the Lakers, Kings and the Inglewood Forum (along with the Washington Redskins).

I think it was Jack Kent Cooke whom I believe owned the Lakers, Kings and the Inglewood Forum (along with the Washington Redskins).

yep, exactly right. And back in his day, he wanted the purple colour to be referred to as "forum blue". I don't know if the Lakers still call it that or not, but I haven't heard the term in a while.

I was at the game - the Kings gave everyone some pretty cool pennants with the old logo, and the "blue" on it was definitely very dark - kind of inky. But the unis themselves look unmistakably purple in person and on TV. However, that old crown logo is a classic, and much more durable than most 60s-era logos. A lot of LA fans suggested going back to the old unis - they have fond memories of the 3 Crowns line and the Miracle on Manchester (interesting trivia from last night: after the Miracle, did you know the Kings and Oiler took the same charter flight back to Edmonton? bet that was a tense flight) The latest unis are a great hybrid of all the Kings traditions and look good in *this* era, esp. since they brought the crown back as the main logo.

Also got to see the Oilers 3rds up-close for the first time & to my shock, they were very dark blue, not black. They look black on TV and in print, which made no sense--the blue is better & though the uni is a little plain--it's a nice, tough look.

re: Staples Center Purple - If you go to the Staples Center website, the arena's "official" colors are red and indigo. Indigo is a compromise between Laker purple, Kings purple and Clipper blue. They actually light the whole stadium up purple on game nights (except around christmas, when they light it up green to go with the red Staples logo).

I don't know why I think this, but dont the teams get outer equipment, like helmets & pant shells free from the manufacturer, as you can actually see the logos on them, and that is a type of advertising that, quite frankly, the hockey equipment industry thrives on?

Actually, for a manufacturer's logo to be shown on a piece of equipment in the NHL an advertising fee must be paid for each category.

So, if you don't see a manufacturer's logo on a stick, gloves, helmet or pants then one of two things has happened.  Either the manufacturer has not paid the advertising fee or the player has a deal with a manufacturer other than the one whose equipment they are using.  For instance, Mission logos cannot be displayed on the Mission Carbster helmet because they did not think it was a good investment to pay the advertising fee in the helmet category due to the low number of NHL'ers that use them.

As well, in the NHL, manufacturers' logos may only be displayed on the front of the helmet.

Yes, I remember when a few companies wouldn't pay the fee in the late '80's, and everyone using Cooper, Jofa, or Koho (among other brands) equipment had to paint over the logos. What i was under the impression of is that the companies didn't charge the teams for outer equipment that showed the brand logos. Either way, to get back on topic, the Kings look brutal on vintage nights, and it really wouldn't upset me to see them just abandon the program, IMO.

Yes, I remember when a few companies wouldn't pay the fee in the late '80's, and everyone using Cooper, Jofa, or Koho (among other brands) equipment had to paint over the logos. What i was under the impression of is that the companies didn't charge the teams for outer equipment that showed the brand logos. Either way, to get back on topic, the Kings look brutal on vintage nights, and it really wouldn't upset me to see them just abandon the program, IMO.

It would upset me - they signed up for it and they should commit to doing a better job with it.  Look at Vancouver.  Somehow they found a way to put on a good show on Vintage nights.

absolutely they should do a better job, no argument here. I guess what I'm saying is pretty much the same thing you seem to be saying, yhollander. I'm just saying that if they knew they were going to half-@$$ this program, that they should have just opted out of it before the season started, because there are plenty of other teams who could have done this, and would have done it the way it should have been done, like Vancouver has. Does anyone know if there is a possibility that this program will be continued next year?

i don' t think LA looks THAT terrible when they were the purples...

if they wore black helmet, purple jersey, black pants for vintage nights, it would look less retarded... so i'm assuming if they wore black helmets and black pants with the YELLOW jersey, it would look better than with the white helmet...

either way, i completely agree with the general theme of this thread.... dan cloutier even has a different helmet for vintage nights, doesn't he? that's dedication :)

but no one else seems to be mentioning the blues..... their helmets and pants don't match their vintage unis either... granted, it's navy blue against royal blue, instead of black and white against yellow and purple....

Archived