GM Floyd Reese out in TN

Broken Record

Titans GM Floyd Reese Resigns

Floyd Reese, whose contract was going to expire in February, resigned this morning. His primary responsibility as General Manager was to assemble talent through free agency and the draft. Reese has been in the NFL for 31 years and with the organization since 1986, starting as a linebackers coach. He moved to the front office as an assistant general manager in 1990 and became the GM in 1994. There is no word yet on a possible replacement.

I think Floyd was a pretty decent GM. He's made some questionable decisions over the years, but so has everyone.

From the outside looking in, it seems like he might have gotten caught up in a power struggle with Fisher and Bud Adams picked Fish. Of course, that's entirely speculation.

I think Fish comes out of this with more power, but I'm almost certain he won't be a Coach/GM. On top of all this, with Cowher retiring, Fisher becoming the longest active tenured coach, etc. it's probably happy times for Fish.

Free passes are over, though. If the Titans don't make the playoffs next season heads will roll again. I believe Fisher is currently just extended through next season.

Fisher is gonna be signed longterm before next season begins.

Too many blown draft picks by Reese. His strategy was to pick 3 guys at the same position of need, and too often none of them worked out.

Also, keep in mind that he didn't want to pick Vince Young.

Fisher is gonna be signed longterm before next season begins.

Hopefully.

Too many blown draft picks by Reese. His strategy was to pick 3 guys at the same position of need, and too often none of them worked out.

Definitely. That always bothered me, but he did have some pretty nice late round finds like Hill, Finnegan, Scaife, Carlos Hall...

I believe the 2003 draft is the one that eventually lost him his job. When your first two picks are all potential, no proof guys like Woolfolk and Calico, you're really rolling the dice. Aside from that, though, I believe Reese has the highest player retention rate among current GM's and the Titans have drafted 3 ROY's under his watch.

Also, keep in mind that he didn't want to pick Vince Young.

I don't think that has ever been substantiated. I've also heard that Reese and Bud Adams wanted Young, but Fisher and Norm Chow wanted Leinart. No one (outside the organization) knows for sure what the real truth is on that one.

I don't think he's the best GM of all time, not by any stretch, but I think he was a pretty good one. The change will probably be good for Tennessee because I think Reese's relationship with the coaching staff had soured. Time will tell.

My fear is this is a crucial time to replace the GM and director of scouting. The Titans are a young team (no Vince Y pun, they were the 2nd youngest in the league this season, youngest on '05) on the rise and have 40 million under the cap to spend this next year they have every opportunity to create a powerful franchise for the next five to ten years

RobbyBox2.jpg

My fear is this is a crucial time to replace the GM and director of scouting. The Titans are a young team (no Vince Y pun, they were the 2nd youngest in the league this season, youngest on '05) on the rise and have 40 million under the cap to spend this next year they have every opportunity to create a powerful franchise for the next five to ten years

Gotta agree with you there. A successful transition to a new GM is a must for the Titans if they want to recreate the kind of success they had in the late 90s early 00s.

This struck me today...

In July the projected starters at QB, RB, FB and in the WR rotation were Volek, Brown, Flemming and Calico. One traded, one benched (most of the season in street clothes on gameday-more than benched) the others two not did not even nmake it on onto another NFL roster after they were let go. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the front office in my humble opinion.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Archived