New Devils arena gets name

OMMF

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/APWires/h.../D8MFDSG80.html

Name chosen for Devils' Newark arena

By JANET FRANKSTON LORIN

Associated Press Writer

NEWARK, N.J. ? The New Jersey Devils' new arena in downtown Newark will be called the Prudential Center, team owner Jeff Vanderbeek said Friday.

Officials from the hockey team and Prudential Financial Inc. will announce the details at a news conference Monday.

Vanderbeek declined to comment on the cost of the naming rights, but had said earlier that the deal would have Prudential pay the Devils about $5 million annually. He said the contract is for 20 years.

A spokeswoman for Prudential declined to comment.

The $370 million arena is rising nearly across Broad Street from the world headquarters of the life insurance and investment giant in downtown Newark.

"It's an awesome deal for both parties," Vanderbeek said. "As the chairman of the Devils, I couldn't be happier with the corporate partnership of Prudential."

He said negotiations have been going on for the last year and a half, but "got serious over the last month." He said the team had substantial conversations with four corporate sponsors.

The city of Newark contributed $210 million to the arena, which was initially expected to cost $310 million. The Devils are paying for cost overruns, Vanderbeek said.

The arena will seat 17,615 people for hockey, 18,500 for basketball and 19,000 for concerts, he said.

The Devils now play at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford. The NHL team shares the building with the New Jersey Nets, whose new owner is moving forward with plans to build an arena for the NBA team in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Prudential, which had profits of $2.25 billion for the first nine months of the year and $586 billion in assets under management as of Sept. 30, has long been a benefactor in Newark. The major space at the nearby New Jersey Performing Arts Center is called Prudential Hall for the company's contributions.

Yea this has pretty much been known for a couple weeks now. They just made it official. No real surprise I thought that was going to be the name since the beginning.

It all ready has a catchy nickname that the media is starting to use: "The Rock". Move over Alcatraz!

I expected that but I thought they was gonna make it Predentual Arena instead of Center because there is already a Predentual Center in Boston

The Pru in Boston isn't a sports arena.

And for the record, I'm already loving "The Rock".

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived