NSW Rugby League 1982

jr79

This isn't a sporting league many of you will be familiar with (forerunner of today's National Rugby League in Australia) but there's some sort of timeless beauty to these uniforms that I can't escape. Maybe because this is what I remember from when I was a kid?

Anyway I took gordie delini's rugby template and one of the old soccer templates that was floating around here (I think it was one of Cole's earlier ones) and mashed them up and MSPainterised them to create a modern style RL template, then set about seeing what the 14 teams from the 1982 NSWRL would look like if transferred to modern uniforms.

I kept some of the V-necks but changed the collars to the more modern lowcut style. The cut of the sleeves is a lot different these days which has made it necessary to tweak a few of the original jerseys to suit.

I've left logos, badges, sponsors etc off to allow the original designs to shine through for now, but I might go back and add them later. I've included the original club logos as well.

Most of these are classics, a couple best left in 1982.

cant.png

canberra.png

balmain.png

wests.png

stgeo.png

souths.png

(Note the 1980s white shorts, as opposed to black that they wear now)

penrith.png

parra.png

norths.png

(Guess which 2 of these are best left in the 80s!!)

newtown.png

manly.png

illawarra.png

easts.png

cronulla.png

liverpool-1.png

I always liked that Cronulla shirt. It had a Black number panel on the back as well.

Living in Melbourne we didn't see a great deal of rugby, but I always had a little bit of an interest.

When my dad said he was talking to a guy from his Sydney office about getting my brother and I a rugby jumper I was wrapt.

One Norths jumper, which my brother scored, and one Souths jumper, which I got.

(It was different to the one above, it was in Cronulla's design, but Green, White & Red.)

I looked like a walking advertisement for Italy.

I wanted Cronulla Dad.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

good to see the old school jerseys.

balmain was awesome, wtf have wests done to the tigers jersey.

i like your style jr. nice and simple. i hope you wont mind if i have a crack at your idea and give the nrl jerseys. a slightly retro update if you ll excuse the oxymoron.

nice to see league/ afl and rugby on the board.

ps. as ive mentioned in another thread, if you would like all the modern logos as vectors, pm me

and ill send them your way.

Its great to see some RL concepts popping up here. I always loved that Bears jersey because there was nothing else like it ever. The only team to don te red/red/red look in the last 15 years is the Knights last year.

Its interesting to note how many teams have mismatched the striping, it still happens but not as much today because of the lack of striping on jerseys.

I'd love to see a Souths "Minties" jersey and the Raiders alternate jersey for when they played Souths (ie. similar to what they are using this year as an away but with blue shorts and green socks).

I've also been working on an NRL set which are not only a little retro in many cases but are also cleanskins. Great minds think alike I suppose.

sig.png

I always liked that Cronulla shirt. It had a Black number panel on the back as well.

I wanted Cronulla Dad.

That Cronulla jersey is back Mero. It was an alternate last season but its been so popular its basically their home jersey now, might even be official for 2007. NRL.com isn't updated yet to tell us.

Its interesting to note how many teams have mismatched the striping, it still happens but not as much today because of the lack of striping on jerseys.

Misaligned sleeve striping was the norm back then it seems but I've corrected this for aesthetic purposes.

liverpool-1.png

Would I be right in saying that the 80's were the phasing out period of long sleeve jerseys too?

Soemthing I always had a little bit of a interest in was old Rugby League jerseys, in the styles, Jon, you've posted, I don't really like the new styles when compared to the classic old ones.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Would I be right in saying that the 80's were the phasing out period of long sleeve jerseys too?

There were a lot of 3/4 length and cut off sleeves in this era but full length sleeves started disappearing earlier than that.

Basically all the jersey designs were traditional (apart from Norths who were always changing and Souths who had that Minties jersey for a bit) until 1988 when Newcastle and Brisbane joined with some funky striping patterns, and then in 1990 or so when Penrith and Norths introduced the first fashion oriented jerseys (I can't remember who was first, I'm thinking the Panthers were though).

Ironically it was that spate of jersey changes in the early 1990s that sparked my interest in sports logos and uniforms but now looking back I much prefer the traditional jerseys as much as I liked the Panthers' and Sharks' 1990s jerseys.

liverpool-1.png

These are the (only?) two alternate jerseys from 1982 afaik. Illawarra wore white against Norths and Canberra wore white against Souths. Later versions of the Canberra jersey had the stripes across the chest as well (and that style is their 2007 away jersey, all that is old is new again!)

illawarra2.png

canberra2.png

[Thanks for the tip with the blue shorts Gaz, I was tossing up between blue and white... something said blue in my head but I had a feeling it was white. Blue it is!]

liverpool-1.png

The stripes on the shorts did not touch on either of the Raider's shorts until 2003, I should have pointed that one out. Also the alt had a gold stripe toward the front and a white stripe toward the back and no green outline. I'll see if I can find a pic for you.

The away looks great by the way and I had something similar in mind for the next time I do them.

sig.png

The stripes on the shorts did not touch on either of the Raider's shorts until 2003, I should have pointed that one out. Also the alt had a gold stripe toward the front and a white stripe toward the back and no green outline. I'll see if I can find a pic for you.

The away looks great by the way and I had something similar in mind for the next time I do them.

Ahh ok... I only had a poor quality image of the shorts to work from so I'll fix that. Cheers.

[Come to think of it I clearly remember those shorts now! Amazing the memories that come back when you work on something like this!]

liverpool-1.png

Archived