Historical nations hockey project

IceCap

Sorry for the delay, essays hit me like a ton of bricks, and when I'm writing those the last thing I want to do is provide even more historical background in a voluntary setting. As of yesterday at 9:00 pm est, however, I am essay free for the remainder of the school year B)

How about the Império do Brasil?

Here you go....

Empire of Brazil

Historical info

The Portuguese royal family (the Braganzas) fled Portugal when the country was occupied by Napoleon. The Braganzas fled to the most important Portuguese colony, Brazil. The Portuguese royal family essentially became the Brazilian royal family during this exile, as Brazil enjoyed self-rule for the first time since colonization. After the defeat of Napoleon it was safe for the Portuguese royal family to return to Portugal.

Brazil, however, didn't want to return to the old status quo in which they were ruled by a distant capital.

A compromise was established that allowed Brazil to declare its independence, under the condition that the monarch of Brazil be from the Portuguese royal family.

So on October 12, 1822 the Empire of Brazil was proclaimed, with the Portuguese prince Pedro Braganzas crowned Emperor Pedro I of Brazil.

On April 7, 1831 Pedro I abdicated after a series of violent protests over his careless handling of internal affairs. His son was crowned emperor at five years old as Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.

Pedro II would reign from 1840-1889, when a military coup overthrew the monarch and established the current Republic of Brazil. The Brazilian royal family fled to Portugal.

Flag

EBflag.gif

Concept

I tried to balance all three of Brazil's main colours, as well as a tie to the flag. Also, I didn't spell Brazil wrong. "Brazil" in Portuguese is spelt "Brasil".

EBunis2.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the delay, essays hit me like a ton of bricks, and when I'm writing those the last thing I want to do is provide even more historical background in a voluntary setting. As of yesterday at 9:00 pm est, however, I am essay free for the remainder of the school year B)

How about the Império do Brasil?

Here you go....

Empire of Brazil

Historical info

The Portuguese royal family (the Braganzas) fled Portugal when the country was occupied by Napoleon. The Braganzas fled to the most important Portuguese colony, Brazil. The Portuguese royal family essentially became the Brazilian royal family during this exile, as Brazil enjoyed self-rule for the first time since colonization. After the defeat of Napoleon it was safe for the Portuguese royal family to return to Portugal.

Brazil, however, didn't want to return to the old status quo in which they were ruled by a distant capital.

A compromise was established that allowed Brazil to declare its independence, under the condition that the monarch of Brazil be from the Portuguese royal family.

So on October 12, 1822 the Empire of Brazil was proclaimed, with the Portuguese prince Pedro Braganzas crowned Emperor Pedro I of Brazil.

On April 7, 1831 Pedro I abdicated after a series of violent protests over his careless handling of internal affairs. His son was crowned emperor at five years old as Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.

Pedro II would reign from 1840-1889, when a military coup overthrew the monarch and established the current Republic of Brazil. The Brazilian royal family fled to Portugal.

Flag

EBflag.gif

Concept

I tried to balance all three of Brazil's main colours, as well as a tie to the flag. Also, I didn't spell Brazil wrong. "Brazil" in Portuguese is spelt "Brasil".

EBunis2.png

This, I like. Very sharp. I love the striping.

That Brazil one is excellent--the colors are well-represented from the flag, and all the striping, etc. is top notch.

The new France one is very good as well; while I like mirroring the flag in the shoulders, I'm not sure how I like it aesthetically. However, each side of the shoulders looks professional, and the numbers really pop. Honestly, the TV numbers are my favorite part of this one (as odd as that sounds).

However, far and away my favorite one so far has been Macedonia. The colors balance to well, scream hockey, and echo the flag. The crest(s) come across perfectly as used. The meander tail-trim is an excellent touch. All of it comes together to make one of the best hockey concepts I've seen...which is odd since it's for a long-gone civilization I barely know/care about. Bravo.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived