SI Players Poll in the new issue

BBM

The Habs wear hockey's version of the Yankees' pinstripes. They wear classic uniforms and use a classic logo that not only identifies the team, but the sport as a whole. A "Top 5 uniforms in the NHL list" simply isn't complete without the Montréal Canadiens.

You raise a good point. Certain uni styles are recognizable without the team logo on them. The Habs and Wings are unmistakable. Ask a non-hockey fan to draw a picture of a hockey uni and chances are the Habs or Wings unis are the first ones that come to mind.

Here's another measure: how many college/jr teams have "borrowed" the Habs/Wings template for their unis? You could fill a warehouse with the jerseys of every team that's worn the Wings' style.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Habs wear hockey's version of the Yankees' pinstripes. They wear classic uniforms and use a classic logo that not only identifies the team, but the sport as a whole. A "Top 5 uniforms in the NHL list" simply isn't complete without the Montréal Canadiens.

You raise a good point. Certain uni styles are recognizable without the team logo on them. The Habs and Wings are unmistakable. Ask a non-hockey fan to draw a picture of a hockey uni and chances are the Habs or Wings unis are the first ones that come to mind.

Here's another measure: how many college/jr teams have "borrowed" the Habs/Wings template for their unis? You could fill a warehouse with the jerseys of every team that's worn the Wings' style.

Oh, definitely, the Red Wings are right up there with the Habs. If the Habs wear hockey's equivalent to the Yankees' pinstripes, then the Red Wings wear hockey's equivalent to the Dodgers' set, excellence in simplicity.

I only mentioned the Habs in my original post because that's one of the teams shrapnell wants expelled from the Top 5 NHL Uniform lists.

Sorry guys, but I think the Habs unis' are old and tired! And that's coming from someone who's father used to work across the street from the forum in Montreal. Beloved team! Tired unis'

I'd love to see some team adapt what the Astros did in the 80's with their rainbow and navy... so cool

And while I'm on yellow, orange and red. Calgary should never have kept the name "Flames" when they moved there from Atlanta. Atlanta had a rich history that involved the great fire of the mid 1800's. The WHA had it right with the "Cowboys." Mustangs, Stallions, something cowboyish... but "FLAMES???!!"

Geez let me think.... Flames... Saddledome... "The Preparation H Saddledome!!!"

• LMU locked this topic

Archived